• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spectrum Analyzer Recommendations

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I haven't.

Am I reading correctly that it has a built-in web server as the UI?

I'm not sure. Amir did a review a while back...

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...nts-of-quantasylum-qa401-audio-analyzer.8694/

I actually got one a while back, and I'm finally digging it out to see what I can figure out.

I just noticed it also has a 'mirror' feature that lets you send a digital signal through your computer output for DAC testing, so it could be good for a lot of 'good enough for my ears' measurements for more than just analog gear.

I have a learning curve with this stuff... Haven't used DAW's before, but need to at least get beyond the basics.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm not sure. Amir did a review a while back...

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...nts-of-quantasylum-qa401-audio-analyzer.8694/

I actually got one a while back, and I'm finally digging it out to see what I can figure out.

I just noticed it also has a 'mirror' feature that lets you send a digital signal through your computer output for DAC testing, so it could be good for a lot of 'good enough for my ears' measurements for more than just analog gear.

I have a learning curve with this stuff... Haven't used DAW's before, but need to at least get beyond the basics.

Well there is a local host web server addy listed on the top of the box. Or perhaps you can ssh into it.

QA401.29_1024x1024.png

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Apparently a successor has been announced because a fire destroyed some AKM production capacity (??!!??):

"In late October, a massive 82 hour fire destroyed AKM's ability to deliver their flagship ADC and DAC products to customers, and this included the AK4490 DAC and AK5397 ADC used in the QA401. "

https://quantasylum.com/blogs/news/sneak-peek-the-qa402

New version has XLR:

SneakPeakQa402_1.png

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
"As a result, the QA401 stock will only be sold to companies that have ordered QA401s in the past."

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Apparently a successor has been announced because a fire destroyed some AKM production capacity (??!!??):

"In late October, a massive 82 hour fire destroyed AKM's ability to deliver their flagship ADC and DAC products to customers, and this included the AK4490 DAC and AK5397 ADC used in the QA401. "

New version has XLR:

SneakPeakQa402_1.png

That was easy...

Yep. Built in server. Gives you a desktop icon that brings up it's own software.
1230201313_copy_918x918.jpg

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Does the desktop icon install a local client or is it popping open a browser-based UI?

I can't quite tell from the pic.

Looks like a local client.

There is an ASIO driver that can be used with it as well, so you aren't limited to it's own software.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

New version has XLR:

SneakPeakQa402_1.png
This is an option I'd probably be interested in purchasing. They warn about 'risk' in buying the new interface, so I'd wait until the risks are ironed out.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've now caved to the idea that I won't be knob twisting but instead mouse clicking.
In this case you could get a MOTU M2 so you don't need to rip out the RME. The M2 certainly is more than good enough for R2R measurements. Or a Focusrite 2i2. A USB powered interface allows to work free floating (no earth connection) when connected to a notebook in battery.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Found the "proper name" of the spectrum analyzers you are looking for — they are called "dynamic signal analyzers" :D

eBay listings: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...313&_nkw=dynamic+signal+analyzer&_sacat=97201

[Edit] Note: Dynamic signal analyzers do more than plotting the spectrum. They can also generate excitation signals for transfer function type analyses.

Those are the same HP models people were suggesting upthread, so I'm not sure how changing the term matters.

Also, I already have a signal generator.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those are the same HP models people were suggesting upthread, so I'm not sure how changing the term matters.

Also, I already have a signal generator.
Because if you are looking for an instrument that provides the functions you are looking for, then "dynamic signal analyzers" are one class of instruments that satisfy those requirements. Their manufacturers call them by that name.

The availability of the excitation signal output is what the typical users of these instruments want. These instruments are made mainly for vibration and acoustics applications.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Because if you are looking for an instrument that provides the functions you are looking for, then "dynamic signal analyzers" are one class of instruments that satisfy those requirements. Their manufacturers call them by that name.

The availability of the excitation signal output is what the typical users of these instruments want. These instruments are made mainly for vibration and acoustics applications.

Well, in my case, I don't need a unit that combines signal generation and signal analysis. I already have a signal generator

Earfonia

New version has XLR:

SneakPeakQa402_1.png

Thanks for the info! Hopefully QuantAsylum manage to develop a killer budget analyzer!

@QAMatt I hope the development of the QA402 is going well!
Really appreciate if you could give us a bit of update about it :)

As a QA401 user, if I could request additional features on QA402, it would be the following:

1. DC socket for clean DC power supply with a wide range of DC input voltage like from 9 to 15 volt DC. It might works perfectly fine on USB, but for certain condition it would be really nice to have the option to use clean DC power supply. I usually series 3x 18650 battery to power some DAC or my Zoom F8n. Would be nice if I could do the same for QA402. Not sure if it has any benefit for the overall performance.

2. Since QA402 already equipped with XLR inputs, could you please add the option for the XLR inputs to be connected to a measurement microphone? So we need:
- Switchable 48V or 24V phantom power. 24V is useful to connect some measurement microphones that requires lower bias voltage. Even better if it could also include 5V plugin power for small condenser mics.
- 10, 20, and 30 dB switchable gain.
With this feature I could connect my EIC 60318-4 / IEC 711 coupler for earphone measurement, directly to QA402. But then I need the QA402 software to be able to take the mic calibration file :D

3. SPDIF optical / Toslink output. This is to drive DAC with Toslink input, so it could be driven with the same clock as the QA402 for better measurement result. Also avoiding USB ground loop.

4. Integration with REW. This is probably a killer feature for many REW users, if that is even possible.

And if with those features the final price still hovers at around $ 1k, I would love to upgrade my QA401 :)

Thank you!

Top Bottom