• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spectrum Analyzer Recommendations

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I'm looking for some recommendation for a standalone hardware-based (not something that needs to be plugged into a computer) spectrum analyzer suitable for analog audio.

This is entirely for hobbyist purposes.

Budget in the neighborhood of $800.

Last edited:

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay.

Why, though?

Doesn't resolve to low enough Hz?
Yup, not aware of any new standalone analyzers which cover the full audio spectrum. But a PC based instrument like Digilent's Analog Discovery 2 ought to.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yup, not aware of any new standalone analyzers which cover the full audio spectrum. But a PC based instrument like Digilent's Analog Discover 2 ought to.

I really don't want something that plugs into a PC. I can already do that.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Are you talking about something like this:

iu

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

KSTR

Major Contributor
Care to elaborate a bit about what you have in mind wrt "hobbyist" measurement purposes?

A good standalone RF spectrum analyzer, or even better, a network analyzer is an extremely powerful and versatile tool. IMHO, for a (audio) circuit designer, today a RF analyzer is way more necessary and effective than a standalone audio analyzer (to 100kHz or so). With today's audio interfaces and great software like REW it is far more convenient to use a dedicated older laptop + soundcard and this close to a bare-bone hardware solution (many of which internally are a beefed-up PC running Embedded Windows anyway).
If you are really going to do to make RF measurements, be prepared that you will most certainly need some probes (notably a current clamp -- which can be DIY'ed successfully btw). And impedance-matching adapters, attenuators, an assortment of good cables, etc.
But basically, doing meaningful experiments and measurements is possible for most anyone and the learning curve is probably easier with modern tools/gear.

As very inspiring resource I can recommend Doug C. Smith's website http://www.emcesd.com/ , notably the Technical Tidbits section.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

If you’re talking about what I think you are, it’s better known as a real time analyzer (RTA). Here’s a high-rez picture of a professional model. There is a vertical row of LEDs for the audio frequency spectrum at 1/3-octave spacing. Here’s another picture of one in use:

n4rgvh6jwqqtehii7mds.jpg

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

pma

Major Contributor
He needs a standard audio spectrum analyzer with dynamic range at least 120 dB. The only affordable instrument is HP 3580A. He does not need a display with few bulb levels.

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Digilent is only 14 bits. You would be better served with something 24 bit like an RME and good software or a QuantAsylum.
An RME could be operated through Pete Milletts interface or Jan Didden's Linear Audio interface. It probably would be more econimical to just buy the QuantAsylum. They are on hold until AK in Japan resumes deliveries following their factory fire.

Last edited:
OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
The Digilent is only 12 bits. You would be better served with something 24 bit like an RME and good software or a QuantAsylum.
An RME could be operated through Pete Milletts interface or Jan Didden's Linear Audio interface. It probably would be more econimical to just buy the QuantAsylum. They are on hold until AK in Japan resumes deliveries following their factory fire.

I already have an RME ADI-2 Pro.

I don't want to use an ADC + software for this.

As it says in the OP:

"not something that needs to be plugged into a computer"

Top Bottom