• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Specifically Abused Speakers

Scylint

Good Day,

I've done some researching and often that research brings me here to discussions that, I'll be honest, I don't understand a whole lot of.
That being said, it does seem objective for the most part, and I'm hoping someone can shed some insight and give me some honest feedback.

I play guitar and drums. In this new world of lockdowns and pandemic (lets not discuss this), I find myself practicing and playing in front of a computer. I have a HK tube amp and Cabinet that are sitting unused for the time being, and I use a Focusrite 4i4 and the guitar rig program for amp/cab sim & effects.

To the point. I need speakers (preferably active, else I need amp suggestions) that are general purpose, but when I get the itch to rip on the guitar/drums, I can turn up and abuse for a couple of hours. I probably need a sub to really beat on the kick, but barring that an 8" probably punches well enough without overwhelming the basic treatment in my 12'x12'x16'(high high ceiling) room. These speakers need to sound good when just playing music or watching a show as well optimally.

I'm in Canada, so I've been able to use Long & McQuades "anything is for rent" policy and I have now demoed the following with the noted results:

Yorkville YSP8's (too large at the time, I've added stands since, so they'd fit beside my desk now)
Focal Alpha 50's (no bottom end)
Focal Shape 65's (bottom is better than the 50's, but they're quite expensive for what I'm doing, and for that much $$$ I'd prefer more bottom for both drums and general listening)

Maybe something doesn't exist that hits the boxes. but I'm open to suggestions. I've started looking at the Kali IN-8's. The speakers are angled, but against a wall.

TLDR; Need speakers for general music & enjoyment, that can double as a guitar cab.

Thanks in advance.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you want to go cheaper or significantly more expensive than Kali IN-8 monitors, I'd get them. They just released a new version with improved DSP and less hiss.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Unless you want to go cheaper or significantly more expensive than Kali IN-8 monitors, I'd get them. They just released a new version with improved DSP and less hiss.
Welcome Aboard @stevenswall.

OP
S

Scylint

Do you know how to tell if what I got was the new IN-8 vs the old?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Welcome. :)

Hard to give recommendations without a budget.

so I've been able to use Long & McQuades "anything is for rent" policy
Interesting...I thought long-mcquade only rented PA speakers and such. I didn't realize you can rent any studio monitor they have?? Is that true?

I'm assuming you meant the Yorkville YSM8 (not Yorkville YSP8, since I don't see this model # anywhere).

Just so you know, the Kali IN-8 v2 is approx the same size as the Yorkville YSM8 that you said were "too big":
https://comparesizes.com/comparison/Yorkville-YSM8-vs-Kali-IN8-v2/1621286589797

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know how to tell if what I got was the new IN-8 vs the old?

Looking at the Kali website, the new ones just came out and will say second generation on the back underneath coincident monitor.

If the hiss isn't a concern, I don't think it's necessarily worth replacing regular IN-8 speakers if you aren't within a return period.

OP
S

Scylint

Welcome. :)

Hard to give recommendations without a budget.

Interesting...I thought long-mcquade only rented PA speakers and such. I didn't realize you can rent any studio monitor they have?? Is that true?

I'm assuming you meant the Yorkville YSM8 (not Yorkville YSP8, since I don't see this model # anywhere).

Just so you know, the Kali IN-8 v2 is approx the same size as the Yorkville YSM8 that you said were "too big":
https://comparesizes.com/comparison/Yorkville-YSM8-vs-Kali-IN8-v2/1621286589797

YSM8 correct, apologies. I've added stands, so I would be able to field something that size now.
Yes/No to the rental thing. L&M rent basically anything within reason. You're not going to get a Fender Custom Shop, or a Neumann Microphone, but within reason, sure. Any monitor worth less than 1000$ USD wouldn't be an issue, anything higher will depend on who their distributor is.
The Shape 65's are at the top end of the value scale for studio monitor rental, I should mention.

OP
S

Scylint

Looking at the Kali website, the new ones just came out and will say second generation on the back underneath coincident monitor.

If the hiss isn't a concern, I don't think it's necessarily worth replacing regular IN-8 speakers if you aren't within a return period.
Haven't tried them yet, but if I'm purchasing this week, there's a fairly good chance it's old stock.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
YSM8 correct, apologies. I've added stands, so I would be able to field something that size now.
Yes/No to the rental thing. L&M rent basically anything within reason. You're not going to get a Fender Custom Shop, or a Neumann Microphone, but within reason, sure. Any monitor worth less than 1000$ USD wouldn't be an issue, anything higher will depend on who their distributor is.
The Shape 65's are at the top end of the value scale for studio monitor rental, I should mention.
Thanks for the info. Great to know. :D

Kali IN-8 v2 would look like this:
*See the "2nd Wave"* below the model #.
1621288612738.png

Improvements over version-1/gen-1:

For under CDN$1000/pair, my top picks would be (a-z):
- Adam T8V (CDN$820/pair) => we have spinorama by Amir
- JBL 308P MKII (CDN$680/pair) => we have spinorama by Amir => Not available at Long-mcquade for some reason!? But available mostly everywhere else.
- Kali LP-8 v2 (CDN$760/pair) => no spinorama yet obviously

Adam T8V:
1621289129387.png

-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 38.0Hz (resp. 35.0Hz).
Preference Score is 4.8 and would be 6.3 with a perfect subwoofer.

JBL 308P MKII:
1621289117357.png

-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 41.0Hz (resp. 38.0Hz).
Preference Score is 5.7 and would be 7.4 with a perfect subwoofer.

Kali IN-8 v1 (now replaced by wave 2, v2):
1621289148834.png

-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 40.0Hz (resp. 36.0Hz).
Preference Score is 5.1 and would be 6.8 with a perfect subwoofer.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Good review of them here by warren

OP
S

Scylint

Thanks for the info. Great to know. :D

Kali IN-8 v2 would look like this:
*See the "2nd Wave"* below the model #.
View attachment 130311

Improvements over version-1/gen-1:

For under CDN$1000/pair, my top picks would be (a-z):
- Adam T8V (CDN$820/pair) => we have spinorama by Amir
- JBL 308P MKII (CDN$680/pair) => we have spinorama by Amir => Not available at Long-mcquade for some reason!? But available mostly everywhere else.
- Kali LP-8 v2 (CDN$760/pair) => no spinorama yet obviously

Adam T8V:
View attachment 130313
-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 38.0Hz (resp. 35.0Hz).
Preference Score is 4.8 and would be 6.3 with a perfect subwoofer.

JBL 308P MKII:
View attachment 130312
-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 41.0Hz (resp. 38.0Hz).
Preference Score is 5.7 and would be 7.4 with a perfect subwoofer.

Kali IN-8 v1 (now replaced by wave 2, v2):
View attachment 130314
-3dB (resp. -6db) point v.s. reference is at 40.0Hz (resp. 36.0Hz).
Preference Score is 5.1 and would be 6.8 with a perfect subwoofer.

Would you say all of your options are good in the general use category?

I note the IN-8 2nd Wave can now be mounted horizontally, which may work better for my space.
Also, good snag on that, did they get released today? Probably a month or so before I can get my hands on a pair to try.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Would you say all of your options are good in the general use category?

I note the IN-8 2nd Wave can now be mounted horizontally, which may work better for my space.
Also, good snag on that, did they get released today? Probably a month or so before I can get my hands on a pair to try.
You'll have no problems playing any type of music with these. They will play loud (since they have capable amps) and deep (due to the 8" woofers) down to 35hz (-6db point) anechoically (note: room will add gain, so they will play deeper) and with less distortion than a 5" or 6" woofer.

Yes, if you're going to mount a speaker horizontally, the Kali's will have that advantage over the option models, due to Kali's concentric driver.

Take a look at the Kali IN-8 v1:
"V(vertical) directivity plot" and "V(vertical) directivity normalized plots" from:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...NCOyHqlTNT1_8WnNdmXkrF96uqMM8HK8LFBz/pubhtml#
1621290544306.png

As you can see, if you go +-30 deg vertically off-axis, they should still sound really good, and you'll only lose about 3db at those angles.

I want to see Kali IN-8 v2 on the test bench, to see how much they've improved over v1...:D

Top Bottom