• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Specific/feature songs – topic: „cymbals”

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know if any other "cymballophile" here, maybe wearing "untamed Beyers" along the way but.. :p;)

OK let me put this straight, post your favorite songs featuring distinctive cymbals layering. Tracks you love or simply acknowledge to sound great in this regard.
You can post "reference cymballizers" as well but note we are in "standard" area lol..

[I can imagine jazz can get a bit dominant in this regard but I'd like to see here a good spread of genres]

Thank you.

spotify playlist

Sepalot · Fabian Füss · Angela Aux · Matthias Lindermayr - Rainbows (Live)

Curtis Harding - I Need a Friend

Jack Johnson - Rodeo Clowns

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Chitlins Con Carne

Nina Simone - Sinnerman

Doves - Carousels

Froth "Contact"

Ultimate Demonstration Disc: Chesky Records' Guide to Critical Listening - Best of Chesky Jazz and More Audiophile Tests, Vol. 2

Last edited:

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but it’s one of the best known cymbal sounds and was a massive hit

Fleetwood Mac’s Albatross

Pegwill

Here’s another oldie that most people in the uk will remember being used in BBC radios Top of the Pops especially withe Alan ‘Fluff’ Freeman as the dj and later Tony Blackburn

From Brass Incorporated - The sign of the swinging cymbal

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Some pretty groovy complicated cymbals in this.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Interesting thread. As someone who played the drums until he had to "grow up," I find that it is rare to come across recorded cymbals that sound like the real thing. The full sustain is often missing, and same goes for impact of the stick on the cymbal. Like piano, my sense is that they are hard thing to record and reproduce well.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Irreplaceable:

Pegwill

Another one that I quite like this time a different arrangement than usual

Child in time - Blackmore’s Night

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The bass player kinda steals the show but the drumming is tight.

Top Bottom