• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers with or without DSP or Headphones for small home studio

GearNostalgia

Hello.

Short intro. Some people like to build lego, solve puzzles, play games. I like dabble with crossover electronic music (listen to Frontline Assembly - Millennium album or Depeche Mode Songs of Faith and Devotion for reference). I love to program new sounds, make riffs and beats, but I suck at making sound.

Due to economic and other general family reasons my studio is placed in a less than ideal room 3 meters by 4 meters in size. One long wall have windows and a patio door. they other long wall have a door and some used keyboards that I have managed to scoop up cheap for my hobby. One short wall in placed next to both door openings. So this simply leaves me with one short wall to put my computer, monitors and speakers. Made a sketch of it below.

At the moment I have a pair of Yamaha HS5 speakers on a shelf above my computer monitors.

I am lacking a lot of bass in this setup so I want to get something with a fuller sound. So what would work best? Getting a sub-woofer? Getting bigger speakers with 7 or 8 inch woofers?

I have looked at all kinds of speakers and Genelec, Neumann and IK Multimedia and Adams models with build in DSP seems like a good idea to tune the sounds. Or will they not help much in this weird space?

Should I get some good headphones like Beyerdunamic DT 700 Pro X? Or will headphones not fill my desire for good bass?

Skärmavbild 2022-12-18 kl. 08.56.54.png

Top Bottom