• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers that produce astonishing soundstaging/imaging?

Doenerkunde

Thanks a lot for the very helpful advice The drivers must be good but no alien technology
Let's try to understand what can make the wonderful soundstage

maybe we are underestimating the xover design ? this is a very important point to focus on
could it be that the superior soundstage ability is due to it?
Do you have a schematic maybe ?
in general i think that xover design should be more important than parts quality used in it
If its design is wrong no exotic part can fix that

This is a very interesting speaker to investigate given its straordinary soundstage rendition
If it sounds so good there must be something in its design peculiar
The fact that it can soundstage even with a very basic cabinet is also very very interesting This changes completely my point of view
The xover is the suspect here ... imho

The crossover was said to be a „12-24dB transitional filter with a diffraction control module“. To me this sounds like "electrical second order, acoustic fourth order due to roll off of the drivers with some kind of baffle step compensation". There were two different crossovers circulating around: One was manufactured by ETM (Cologne), the other had one additional capacitor and contained parts by Mundorf (Pulheim). At one point I owned both versions, because I wanted to compare them (after the supposed new owner of the brand claimed that there was no difference between both versions; during that time there was dispute over ownership of the company), but found them to indeed sound the same. Maybe the additional capacitor was just the result of splitting up values? Oh, and it seems there was one more resistor than I remembered

There are pictures of both crossover versions. I tried to map the circuit of the ETM version, but I am not competent at reading circuits, so there may be errors.

BTW a few years after the Argentas came out german DIY magazine „Klang & Ton“ developed a speaker called „Vintage One“ that had the same drivers and same general layout as the Argenta, but used a third order crossover. The description reads similar to the Argentas: Ability to clearly place instruments on the soundstage, great illusion of depth, tendency to sound a little bit aggressive.

https://lautsprechershop.de/hifi/vintage_one.htm

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • 3.png
    3.png
    733.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

gino1961

The crossover was said to be a „12-24dB transitional filter with a diffraction control module“. To me this sounds like "electrical second order, acoustic fourth order due to roll off of the drivers with some kind of baffle step compensation". There were two different crossovers circulating around: One was manufactured by ETM (Cologne), the other had one additional capacitor and contained parts by Mundorf (Pulheim). At one point I owned both versions, because I wanted to compare them (after the supposed new owner of the brand claimed that there was no difference between both versions; during that time there was dispute over ownership of the company), but found them to indeed sound the same. Maybe the additional capacitor was just the result of splitting up values? Oh, and it seems there was one more resistor than I remembered

There are pictures of both crossover versions. I tried to map the circuit of the ETM version, but I am not competent at reading circuits, so there may be errors.

BTW a few years after the Argentas came out german DIY magazine „Klang & Ton“ developed a speaker called „Vintage One“ that had the same drivers and same general layout as the Argenta, but used a third order crossover. The description reads similar to the Argentas: Ability to clearly place instruments on the soundstage, great illusion of depth, tendency to sound a little bit aggressive.

https://lautsprechershop.de/hifi/vintage_one.htm
Hi thank you very much indeed I have a lot to study to hope to understand the secrets of xovers But the feeling is that the great soundstage could depend on the xover
As i said above i have a cd test with a phase track Two sounds are compared ... in phase and out of phase With the sound in phase the speaker's voice is placed precisely in the middle of the two speakers With the out of phase signal his voice cannot be located easily So my guess is that phase is a very important parameter for soundstage
Probably some xovers ruin the phase ?

Top Bottom