• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers suggestion for 35m^2 living room

Kit Carson

Dear all,
I'm going to set-up my hifi system to listen music and audio tv.

I'll install it in my L-shaped living room: it's about 35m^2 and height 2,4m.
The speakers will be side by side to the tv and in front of the sofa.
The listening point will be about 3,5m from the speakers.

The system will be composed by:
I'll use it to listen to rock music (Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Patti Smith, Sting, U2, ...) and jazz (Coltrane, Garbarek, ...) and for the tv.

Now I have to decide which speakers to buy.
These are some possible solutions I'm considereing:
  • Focal Alpha 65 (proposed/sponsorised by the technician of my music local shop)
  • Genelec 8040B: Does it worth? In particular considering that the room is not acoustically treated (at least till now)?
  • Amp + passive speaker: For example B&W 606 + which amp?
  • Any other?
Thanks for any suggestion!

noobie1

3.5m listening position is far enough where I might be concerned with small monitor speakers. No personal experience with the speakers you’ve listed but they are probably used mostly in near field settings. Monitors may not provide sufficient volume or sound “shouty” if pushed too hard. Buy from a shop with liberal return policy.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
1) In your situation, I would only consider such "small" monitors with a subwoofer.
2) Genelec > Focal.
3) The Genelec 8030C and 8050B are better than the 8040B, which has some problems coupling a 6.5" woofer with 3/4" tweeter (the 8050B has a 1" one); the 8040B is still better than the Alpha by miles, even better than the Shapes.
4) Hard to recommend an equivalent passive setup unless you already own the electronics including a powerful amp and something to implement the subwoofer crossover.

OP
K

Kit Carson

3.5m listening position is far enough where I might be concerned with small monitor speakers. No personal experience with the speakers you’ve listed but they are probably used mostly in near field settings. Monitors may not provide sufficient volume or sound “shouty” if pushed too hard. Buy from a shop with liberal return policy.

Thanks!
Otherwise, which speakers will you suggest to me?

OP
K

Kit Carson

1) In your situation, I would only consider such "small" monitors with a subwoofer.
Ok, thanks!

3) The Genelec 8030C and 8050B are better than the 8040B, which has some problems coupling a 6.5" woofer with 3/4" tweeter (the 8050B has a 1" one); the 8040B is still better than the Alpha by miles, even better than the Shapes.
I guess 8030C to be too small, 8050 is very expensive...

4) Hard to recommend an equivalent passive setup unless you already own the electronics including a powerful amp and something to implement the subwoofer crossover.
At the moment I don't own anything...
For example Rotel 1552MKII (I can try to find an used one) + B&W606 could be a solution?

OP
K

Kit Carson

And once again, the important question: will you do room correction yourself with computer software or do you plan on using a commercial solution?
I think I'll try by my self, I enjoy learning such things...

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I guess 8030C to be too small
Don't know with a sub. The Neumann KH120A is also a good candidate as long as a subwoofer can relieve it somewhat.
8050 is very expensive...
Yeah, but so good.
At the moment I don't own anything...
For example Rotel 1552MKII (I can try to find an used one) + B&W606 could be a solution?
No, current B&W speakers aren't good by any metric other than non-linear distorsion.

noobie1

Thanks!
Otherwise, which speakers will you suggest to me?

I had a pair of Infinity P363 (~$300 new) with a 100W/ch Denon receiver (~$150 new) for several years in a room larger than yours. Was very content with the sound. The P363's are no longer made but I'd look into the JBL 5 series (530, 580 or 590) speakers. They regularly go on sale on Harman website and don't need a ton of power to play loud. You should be able to find them used for good price as well.

OP
K

Kit Carson

Don't know with a sub. The Neumann KH120A is also a good candidate as long as a subwoofer can relieve it somewhat.
Thanks fo suggestion, just a question (sorry to be a newbie): How can I connect the sub?
My idea was to set-up something as following: DAC > Nobsound volume control > Active speakers.
All connection to be XLR Balanced,

How can I extract the signal for the sub?
Maybe I need an adeguate preamp?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Thanks fo suggestion, just a question (sorry to be a newbie): How can I connect the sub?
My idea was to set-up something as following: DAC > Nobsound volume control > Active speakers.
All connection to be XLR Balanced,

How can I extract the signal for the sub?
Maybe I need an adeguate preamp?
Cheap studio subs like the LSR310S have XLR in and high passed XLR out. If you want to use non studio subwoofers, good luck with software based crossover or MiniDSP devices.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome!
Budget?

You may also consider Neumann, they are not cited too often here but hold their own against and often cost less than, the equivalent Genelec. The KH 120 and KH 310 are stellar performers. I believe the KH 120 which was also reviewed here at ASR is the flattest speaker, we've seen on ASR.

A pair of subwoofer and appropriate DSP/Crossover will bring any of the Neumann or Genelec mentioned here, to an even higher level of performance; not far from SOTA.

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You may also consider Neumann, they are not cited too often here but hold their own against and often cost less than, the equivalent Genelec. The KH 120 and KH 310 are stellar performers.
Yep, my recommendation is KH310 due to the specified listening distance. The OP could try to get a used pair.
I believe the KH 120 which was also reviewed here at ASR is the flattest speaker, we've seen on ASR.
That was the KH80DSP, the KH120 has not yet been reviewed.
A pair of subwoofer and appropriate DSP/Crossover will a bring any of the Neumann or Genelec mentioned here, to an even higher level of performance; not far from SOTA.
Agreed.

OP
K

Kit Carson

Thanks to all!
KH310 are out of my budget, I can consider the KH120 or the 8040B, or the solution indicated by noobie1 composed by Denon amplifier + JBL 530.
Which one do you suggest me?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Thanks to all!
KH310 are out of my budget, I can consider the KH120 or the 8040B, or the solution indicated by noobie1 composed by Denon amplifier + JBL 530.
Which one do you suggest me?
You should really include a subwoofer in your equation. KH120A + LSR310S might be a good idea, as you can upgrade to the KH750DSP + MA-1 later.

OP
K

Kit Carson

You should really include a subwoofer in your equation. KH120A + LSR310S might be a good idea, as you can upgrade to the KH750DSP + MA-1 later.
So, better Neuman than Genelec, right?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I'd say that Neumann's and Genelec's analogue models (80x0 and KH120A/KH310A) are quite similar in quality, though I have a preference for Genelec. Neumann's MA-1 can be used with the analogue models, but only through their subwoofer and Genelec's GLM is probably more mature but the DSP models cost a pretty penny.
You can't go wrong with both of these, really.

syzygetic

Cheap studio subs like the LSR310S have XLR in and high passed XLR out. If you want to use non studio subwoofers, good luck with software based crossover or MiniDSP devices.

I use a Genelec sub with my DBR62 passives run through a Hypex NC400. Signal path is DAC >> Genelec Sub >> NC400 >> DBR62 ... this obviously isn't quite what was intended, since these are passive speakers and off brand, but the REW measurements show it to be without compromise. I didn't have to resort to MiniDSP here, the sub crossover does a great job.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Other than @q3cpma I have a preference for Neumann (although I'm listening to Genelec 8020a right now, but my main system uses the predecessor of the KH310, the K&H O300D, and they were better than the similar sized Genelec 8050, probably due to being 3-way, but they were also more expensive in 2004).

But I agree totally with him that you cannot do anything wrong with both companies. So if you can't decide between two models both having all required features and you have no chance to audition them at the same time and in the same room I'd say just go for the cheaper one.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
budget?

if you buy an amp, you just need a decent one with enough power to drive the speakers at their lowest impedance

Top Bottom