• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers recommendation close to wall, Elac DBR-62?

nwarrenfl

Hi,

First of all, I'd like to say I have been reading on the forum a lot in order to choose my new speaker set.
There is a lot of interesting information here, that's why I wanted to register and ask for help here.

However, not being an audiophile, just wanting to find bookshelf speakers that sounds good for me has become a struggle.

My current setup was an old Marantz PM-420 with Monitor Audio MR2 speakers, which I liked quite a lot.
However one speaker suddenly has a problem and I am trying to replace them with something better.

This has been my tests as of now:
- Magnat Monitor Supreme 202, sounded too cheap -> returned
- Magnat Signature 503, sounded quite good IMO, but vocals were annoying me, sadly -> returned
- Teufel Ultima 40, sounded really bad -> returned
- Klipsch RP-600M

The RP-600M do not sound bad, but I feel they're probably not the best.
I have no idea how to describe them, not being an audiophile, but I always feel like some sounds are missing.
I read amir's review here and this confirmed my doubts about keeping these speakers.

So currently I'm still testing out the RP-600M but want to still try something which would let me say 'I want to keep those speakers'...

I came across amir's good review about the Elac DBR-62, and I like their design a lot.

However I don't have that much space to keep speakers at a distance from the wall,
that's why my main concern is to find speakers which could sound good at maybe 10cm from rear walls.

Basically, I want speakers that:
- can be placed close to a wall without problems
- can reproduce the most frequencies, as in 'I want to hear everything the songs have to offer'
- can have good bass after EQing with my amplifier, because I like heavy bass, but don't want a subwoofer
- price around 500€

Would the Elac have something to offer for me?
Or does anyone have any propositions?

Sorry for the long post...
Thanks in advance

hotdogsandwich

Forum Donor
I had a similar dilemma. I'd have to put my desk in the middle of my office to get a decent distance from the wall and I didn't want to wear headphones. After months of reading the forums I went with the KRK G4's that were just reviewed. I'm pretty happy with the results.

OP
N

nwarrenfl

I had a similar dilemma. I'd have to put my desk in the middle of my office to get a decent distance from the wall and I didn't want to wear headphones. After months of reading the forums I went with the KRK G4's that were just reviewed. I'm pretty happy with the results.
Thanks for answering.

These speakers are active monitoring speakers if I understand correctly.
I'm however in search of passive speakers for listening to music and watching TV.

Hephaestus

Thanks for answering.

I'm however in search of passive speakers for listening to music and watching TV.

I have active speakers in similar setup you describe: Connected into a TV for music & films.
However, my speakers are active. This brings many advantages:

-Simplistic setup, no other boxes needed.
-Automatic switch on/standby for speakers when signal from TV is detected
-Only one remote needed (TV´s) for volume control because I use TV headphone out for the actives
-DSP inside the active speaker can compensate for the boundary gain (nearby walls) and modal issues (eg. nasty peaking bass)

Active speakers may seem more expensive but once you consider the prices for amps & outboard dsp for passives - actives become very appealing.

If you decide to go active, make sure that they have features needed for your setup and usage scenario.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
You can make almost any speaker work up against the wall with room correction like Dirac, etc. The DBR-62 will sound much boomier than the RP-600m against the wall without EQ/room correction.

In my opinion, a small, cheap subwoofer and a room correction solution would be a better investment before chasing rainbows with new speakers.

hotdogsandwich

Forum Donor
You can make almost any speaker work up against the wall with room correction like Dirac, etc. The DBR-62 will sound much boomier than the RP-600m against the wall without EQ/room correction.

In my opinion, a small, cheap subwoofer and a room correction solution would be a better investment before chasing rainbows with new speakers.
New at this, looked up Dirac, its not available by itself anymore. I did use the KRK ios app for EQ selection and it did seem to make a good suggestion for arrangement on a desk against a wall.

Thanks for answering.

I was planning on sticking with passive myself once I found

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
New at this, looked up Dirac, its not available by itself anymore. I did use the KRK ios app for EQ selection and it did seem to make a good suggestion for arrangement on a desk against a wall.
No worries. Dirac is an automated EQ program that requires a microphone (most people use UMIK-1). Highly recommended for EQing bass frequencies and room modes.

You mean the trial version for Windows/Mac isn't available anymore? Maybe if you tried emailing them. You can also purchase a MiniDSP product with Dirac and mic included.

hotdogsandwich

Forum Donor
No worries. Dirac is an automated EQ program that requires a microphone (most people use UMIK-1). Highly recommended for EQing bass frequencies and room modes.

You mean the trial version for Windows/Mac isn't available anymore? Maybe if you tried emailing them. You can also purchase a MiniDSP product with Dirac and mic included.
Oh man, I didn’t know that was a thing — new rabbit hole to dive down, hold my beer!

OP
N

nwarrenfl

Just to be clear, my current speakers have a blown woofer, so I want to replace them anyways.

I already had a look at passive speakers, and they are quite expensive.
So I prefer to spend the money I have on passive speakers, if it makes sense.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
- can be placed close to a wall without problems
- can reproduce the most frequencies, as in 'I want to hear everything the songs have to offer'
- can have good bass after EQing with my amplifier, because I like heavy bass, but don't want a subwoofer
- price around 500€
I used the Speaker Selector (link) to help narrow down the options.
1. 500€ => 605 USD
2. rating of 3 or 4
rating of 3 = amir's relaxed/lounging panther award
rating of 4 = amir's soccer/golfing panther award
3. passive or diy speakers only (removed active)
4. removed "center" speaker, so floorstanding/bookshelves only
5. removed "rear port" models, for obvious reasons

result?
1614583750324.png

Best speaker for bass (-6dB point is at 44hz) is ELAC DBR62.

That would be my recommendation.

Jmunoz148

I have Monitor Audio Silver RX2s on my desk which sits close to the wall and think they sound great. I'm sure newer models like Silver 2 or Silver 100s would sound just as good or better.

I have them on their sides with the tweeters towards the center and the woofers on towards the outside.

Top Bottom