• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers not flat on-axis that sound good?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Do they exist? speakers not flat on-axis (with a treble peak for instance) that sound good and hi-fi nevertheless?

Should their positionning be different from the flat on-axis ones? (different toe-in for instance)

I'm after examples and explanating why they can sound good.

Cheers.

MSNWatch

Hi,

Do they exist? speakers not flat on-axis (with a treble peak for instance) that sound good and hi-fi nevertheless?

Should their positionning be different from the flat on-axis ones? (different toe-in for instance)

Cheers.

There are many that sound good to different folks - just look at the sales of B&W, Magnepan and other various expensive speakers. It's just that the good measuring ones are likely to be preferred by the majority of folks when rigorous blinded testing is performed.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Cheers.
I think the only really interesting answers to this would be from people who have tested them blind against speakers that are flat, and behave off axis properly. The rest will just be noise.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of speakers with anomalous frequency responses can sound very good, sometimes. With some program material they can actually seem to sound better than speakers with a flat frequency response, but on other material the coloration may not be so flattering. That's the real problem with "voiced" speakers. Placement and room characteristics can make colorations worse or better, or not affect them at all. As an example of popular speakers that have a non-flat frequency response would be the previous generation B&W 800D/802D. (I haven't heard the latest generation yet). They have an upper midrange peak that can make female voices sound very attractive, and elevated highs that some people mistake for being revealing of greater detail. Well, I suppose they really are revealing of greater detail, but not in a good way. I know someone with 802Ds who carefully adjusts toe-in to the listening seat to make them sound more natural. While I won't buy a full-range speaker without listening to it extensively, great measurements are table stakes.

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of speakers with anomalous frequency responses can sound very good, sometimes. With some program material they can actually seem to sound better than speakers with a flat frequency response, but on other material the coloration may not be so flattering. That's the real problem with "voiced" speakers.

So, the "problem" with "voiced" speakers is that due to variations in source quality, some material will sound better than others.

Conversely, of course, the same "problem" would apply to neutral speakers.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Conversely, of course, the same "problem" would apply to neutral speakers.

IMO you're correct. However, neutral speakers wouldn't commit the travesty [grin] of tainting a good recording. And since a neutral speaker would eliminate a variable in how a recording sounds, it seems to me that the probability of getting worse sound from the recording-speaker combination is greater when both the speaker and the recordings are variables.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO you're correct. However, neutral speakers wouldn't commit the travesty [grin] of tainting a good recording. And since a neutral speaker would eliminate a variable in how a recording sounds, it seems to me that the probability of getting worse sound from the recording-speaker combination is greater when both the speaker and the recordings are variables.

I can understand that reasoning in theory.

But in practice, I'm not sure. I've heard speakers that are not quite neutral in perhaps filling out and smoothing a little bit, so even harsher/thinner recordings sound agreeable and enjoyable, and yet they also sounded hauntingly vivid with great recordings.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can understand that reasoning in theory.

But in practice, I'm not sure. I've heard speakers that are not quite neutral in perhaps filling out and smoothing a little bit, so even harsher/thinner recordings sound agreeable and enjoyable, and yet they also sounded hauntingly vivid with great recordings.

I think this is why B&W speakers have sold so well at their price points. A lot of people are much more into what "sounds good" than what is neutral to recordings. Among my friends who are buyers of premium audio systems, I can't think of one who is concerned about neutrality first.

DDF

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, the "problem" with "voiced" speakers is that due to variations in source quality, some material will sound better than others

I've been designing speakers for 40 (gulp) years and I think voicing is unfortunately largely misunderstood.

No speaker has a perfect off axis response and many (e.g. those without waveguides or those pushing large diaphragms above their piston range) have an irregular one. Subtly altering the on axis response away from flat can make the speaker more neutral, to compensate. The smaller (the earlier the first reflection) the room, and the larger the compensation effect required because an early delay to the reflection will cause it have a greater impact on perceived timbre.

This is largely in-line with Harman's blind test findings: Dr Olive found that users preferred when room correction products alter on axis to help "fix" an irregular off axis (they tested this with a B&W speaker)

Voicing is by far the hardest and longest duration part of design, tweaking the xover for a perceived neutral response. It's not perfect as its extremely hard to blind test. I design for specific install applications (I do this as a hobby) so the voicing will be of variable success for other rooms. Unfortunately so many DIY designs offered by parts express etc without waveguides are tweaked for flattest on axis possible at one spot using measurements only but diffraction and dispersion signature varies by observation angle, and this doesn't work so well for that type of design.

This is largely why loudspeaker design still has an element of art to it vs DACs etc. There are no accurate rules of thumb for how to adjust the on axis response to compensate for an irregular off axis and a particular room's acoustics.

The Harman (and others') approach allows this issue to be largely side-stepped by providing smooth and regular off axis behaviour so that differences between rooms are largely a non issue. This is why their double blind tests showed so little variance in preference rankings room to room. With speakers showing much less regular off axis behaviour, the impact of the room grows.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Harman (and others') approach allows this issue to be largely side-stepped by providing smooth and regular off axis behaviour so that differences between rooms are largely a non issue. This is why their double blind tests showed so little variance in preference rankings room to room. With speakers showing much less regular off axis behaviour, the impact of the room grows.

And some manufacturers still voice for what sells, not neutrality. I'm actually anxious to hear if B&W has changed their tune with their latest 800 series models. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist that pun.)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A few designs will hinder the on-axis if is benefits the listening window. On Stereophile's measurements you'll see a good amount of speakers do this. Take the recently reviewed Monitor Audio Gold 300:

On-axis:
1572648271558.png

off-axis:
1572648322946.png

The dip ~2-4kHz on-axis gets filled in.

Last edited:

DDF

The dip ~2-4kHz on-axis get's filled in.

That's another trick of the trade. Non coherent (ie not Linkwitz Riley) crossovers can be used to tamp down the on axis at xover while allowing more fill through xover off axis, partially compensating for the low pass driver's increasing directionality. Tilted baffles can be used for a similar trick, in the highest frequencies if using an overly directional 1" dome.

I usually don't document or publish my designs but here's one that explains this thought process pretty well.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/269455-jr149-redesign.html

The venerable B110 has a notorious problem where resonances only appear at specific off axis radiation angles. I had this design ruler flat on axis but it had to be unflattened to sound neutral. FWIW (sighted etc) it was very well received at Ottawa DIY events.

Last edited:

DDF

And some manufacturers still voice for what sells, not neutrality. I'm actually anxious to hear if B&W has changed their tune with their latest 800 series models. (Sorry, I just couldn't resist that pun.)

Its well known (to designers) that lumpy responses can "sound" more dynamic and exciting.

I did some reading over the weekend on AVS. Dr Toole posted that he had some 1-1 time with B&W and that some newer B&W designs were getting with the program.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

My main speakers have limited dispersion, spit sound out the back, rate poorly in contrived listening tests, and can measure strangely, but sound fine to me, and have, for nearly 22 years.

The one on the left, but with black rails:

1572649759190.png

15x48" panel, 12" sealed woofer, crossover at 180Hz.

Low pass, highpass, step-up transformer for signal to the stators, and high voltage bias power supply:

1572650429972.png

I see them for sale occasionally for $1~2k.

I'd be tempted to run down to the store and buy the new model of the same size, but they have decided to price them at what I consider a rather outrageous $25k, so, no sale.

1572651672006.png

Maybe if I can accidentally catch 5,000 ticks of YM, I'll reconsider.

Last edited:

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think this is why B&W speakers have sold so well at their price points. A lot of people are much more into what "sounds good" than what is neutral to recordings. Among my friends who are buyers of premium audio systems, I can't think of one who is concerned about neutrality first.

This doesn't make much sense. We know that what's neutral is what sounds good, that's the whole point of all these blind tests. Unless you mean specifically what might catch your attention for a few minutes in a showroom, in which case maybe there's an argument for elevated treble and bass.

My understanding is that B&W used to make more neutral-measuring speakers but have recently abandoned that. That said, their recent formation Duo wasn't too bad, on axis at least.

Hi,

Cheers.

It's certainly possible, but I also think this depends on exactly what degree of "not-flat" you mean. As others have mentioned, many speakers balance a slightly faulty on axis with the off-axis sound. Many designers will also prioritize slightly off axis response over on-axis, because many/most consumers don't toe in their speakers for aesthetic reasons. both the KEF R3 and LS50W measure slightly better at 15ish degrees off axis than right at 0 for instance.

On a more personal level, the JBL L100 I recently measured was, subjectively, one of the most enjoyable speakers I've heard, even though the measurements don't seem particularly fantastic.

L100-horizontal-1.png

Dispersion looks pretty nice and even, but, but the on-axis (and LW) shows some clear, broad peaks and dips. Moreover, the 2K peak and 3.5k scoop remained at almost every angle I measured. It's not awful, but not great for a $4,000 speaker. I'd even worried I screwed up my measurements, but Hifi-news and Audio.com.pl measured a very similar response.

(Note that these measurements are for the L100 with their default knob setting. It did look to me like turning up the treble and mids knobs on this speaker actually provided a more neutral response and is what I preferred, but this is what JBL claims should measure flattest).

This puzzled me for a few reasons. One, I hadn't seen any recent Harman speakers show such seemingly middling measurements. Even though the L100 classic was a remake of an old speaker, it struck me as odd. 2) I enjoyed this speaker tremendously, and I've always had a preference for neutral-measuring speakers (even back in my purely subjective days). I'd not tested a speaker where my subjective impressions seemed so distinct from the measurements. 3) I didn't find this peak particularly audible, even when specifically looking for it, and peaks are typically more audible than dips.

Now, this is purely conjecture and I could be totally wrong and misunderstanding the science, but my theory was that JBL aimed to balance out the frequency response effects of interaural crosstalk to some degree with this frequency response.

If you're not familiar, interaural crosstalk causes a significant dip at approximately 1.8k Hz when listening to stereo speakers in an equilateral triangle setup, (moving higher the closer the speakers are). This is a big reason why listening to a center speaker sounds so much clearer for dialogue than a pair of stereo speakers - the 2k region is important for intelligibility.

See this figure(7.2) from Toole's book for a summary:
Snag_227ebc07.png

While it seems we may adapt to this dip to some degree and it becomes less of an issue with wide dispersion speakers in a typically reflective room, it does still seem to be present to some degree. Note then, how the L100's response is curiously quite close to the inverse of the artifacts described in 7.2e. It's possible that's a coincidence, but it seems suspiciously close to someone trying to equalize that 2K dip and 3-5k hump.

Normally one doesn't want to correct much for this dip because as soon as you move much out of the sweet spot, the peak would become noticeable. But most audiophiles do sit right in the sweet spot without moving much. It seems to me trying to correct for this would make some sense on a speaker made for audiophiles.

You might then wonder why JBL/harman and others wouldn't do this for all their speakers. Well, most of the harman speaker lines also offer matching center speakers. Correcting for IAC would throw things off if you ever bought a center, so it's probably not worth considering we adapt to it to some extent. The L100s do not have a matching center. It will pretty much only ever be used in a stereo setup by audiophiles, who will likely plant their butts right in the sweet spot when listening "seriously" and not care enough when they're not. That's certainly the case for me.

Of course, without any blind comparisons, it's very well possible this is a coincidence and the speakers work well with my particular room, or I'm just rationalizing how much I liked the speakers. But nonetheless, I did like the speakers, and I thought it might be an interesting example of how one might voice speakers if you have a particular use case in mind. It compelled me to try equalizing for this dip on my other speakers by adding one or 2 db of energy around 2k (as I have an Atmos setup but don't use a center) and I find I prefer the sound this way.

Attachments

• Snag_28ecaf.png
    Snag_28ecaf.png
    195.5 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My main speakers have limited dispersion, spit sound out the back, rate poorly in contrived listening tests, and can measure strangely, but sound fine to me, and have, for nearly 22 years.

Electrostatics are an enigma. They almost always measure oddly, but one can fall in love with them, and they often sound very neutral regardless of what the measurements say.

Last edited:

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This doesn't make much sense. We know that what's neutral is what sounds good, that's the whole point of all these blind tests. Unless you mean specifically what might catch your attention for a few minutes in a showroom, in which case maybe there's an argument for elevated treble and bass.

I completely agree with you, but a lot of people apparently think neutral sounds too boring. They want what sounds like an old-fashioned loudness button was pressed.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I completely agree with you, but a lot of people apparently think neutral sounds too boring. They want what sounds like an old-fashioned loudness button was pressed.
Could be a room thing for sure. I will often use tone controls to adjust a speaker's tilt. I do like some treble sizzle to my speakers, even though my hearing is quite good

Putter

Forum Donor

I've always suspected that most people DON'T listen at reference levels (that is the original recording levels) so that a speaker with a built in Fletcher-Munson curve (i.e. boosted bass and slightly boosted treble) sounds right to them and of course no reason it shouldn't if it's a reasonable match.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Cheers.
I think there are quite a lot of speakers with a raised treble. They sound OK because usually they are not toed in (not enough or not at all, I've seen both), so the listener sits off axis where the speaker is more flat. Depending on the reflectivity of the back walls the higher frequencies may be absorbed so the room FR does not suffer.

Top Bottom