• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers "inside" bookshelf

mr.k

Due to the specific configuration of my living room, I'm forced to put some speakers "into" a bookshelf.
Not on, but into :) This means each speaker will be surrounded by a kind of "board box".
If this is not enough, the bookshelf is pretty shallow as well, only 25cm.

The good thing is that the listening position will be close to the speakers, 1-2 meters range, so big boxes are probably not needed.

Are there any speakers that are worth putting in this position, almost on the wall, without (much) free space around? :)

Looking for passive, classic "hi-fi" speaker look-a-likes.

Edited: Budget - around 1k euros.

Greetings.

Last edited:

kekus

Hi,
I would say something with more focused radiation pattern (narrow dispersion) should work well for you (hey any speaker is better than nothing right?).
You didn't mention budget, but something like Kef Q150, or pricier Polk R100 should be ok I think, and in walnut they look nice. Q150 has bass port plugs that you can use if bass is too boomy.
Shallowness should be fine, better to have the speakers go over the edge than have reflections from it.

Hope this helps.

OP
M

mr.k

Although something above 1k budget mark, what about LS50 metas in these cirmumstances?
Everybody says they need room to breath...ont the other hand, would positioning them close to the wall help with missing bass ?

Katji

Major Contributor
This means each speaker will be surrounded by a kind of "board box".
If this is not enough, the bookshelf is pretty shallow as well, only 25cm.
Shallowness should be fine, better to have the speakers go over the edge than have reflections from it.
That is the most important thing. In a box/cube, it is probably even worse - there would be reflected sound waves bouncing around in the box.
Unless very small speaker, 25cm. will force you to have the speaker protuding over the front of the shelf.
Maybe sealed speakers would be better, no port at the back.

Last edited:

kekus

Although something above 1k budget mark, what about LS50 metas in these cirmumstances?
Everybody says they need room to breath...ont the other hand, would positioning them close to the wall help with missing bass ?
I had the Q150 and without plug close to wall - they had boomy, not pleasant bass. With plug they were fine.
From what I read Ls50 Metas have this plug as well, so I would definitely consider them.

I don't think you can expect good bass regardless which speakers you choose, I would definitely also consider a sub which you can move around.

Witterings

I had a similar situation where depth was one of my most limiting factars and there is very little choice of speaker if keeping it to less than 25cm.

I ended up buying Elac B5.2's as they were the best I could find that would fit in the depth I had and were front ported so wouldn't be as bad as rear ported so close to a wall.

If you want to extend them out the front and go for deeper get some wood similar to the shelving and make a "platform" deeper than the shelf and fix it firmly to the shelf.
I did this to get the Elacs to fit and just used some plywood and happened to have some black spray paint which if it's cut to the right size you won't notice isn't the underneath of the speaker (assuming you buy black).

Top Bottom