• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers for talk radio?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Do you have any tips to share, I would be grateful!

Now I'll fix small speakers for my aunt. She listens most, or in principle only to, talk radio.Prerequisites. Small living room. Speakers should be mounted on the wall, possibly placed on a bookcase.She has an old receiver. It can handle 4 ohm speakers. She mostly listens to FM radio.

Receiver: Pioneer SX-777
Power output: 65 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
Speaker load impedance: 4Ω (minimum
)

Budget, low. It should "only" be a speaker for talk radio. I can imagine buying used or new. It will probably be used.

I might consider DIY buying with some Full-Range Drivers but I do not really have time for that now. Or maybe ..Tips on
Full-Range Driver? :)Cost around $ 20-30 per Full-Range Driver. For example (or if you have any other suggestions):

SB Acoustics SB10PGC21-4

Last edited:

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can probably find passive computer speakers or maybe even decent bookshelf speakers for next to nothing at a thrift store.

If you want something better, designed for on-wall then maybe something like these Polk OWM3. I have the OWM5 and I think they are very good.

These cheap Edifiers also have a hanger: https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-Passive-Bookshelf-Speakers-Built/dp/B07DM7F15C/ref=sr_1_1

hex168

You should be able to find something interesting here that would be easy to build and hang on the wall:
Here's one for on-wall:
bookshelf:

Yasuo

I would go with a bigger driver 4-5.25"

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
You should be able to find something interesting here that would be easy to build and hang on the wall:
Here's one for on-wall:
bookshelf:
Thanks for the tip!:)

I surfed around and discovered this. Maybe could be something?

GeorgeWalk

These should work fine for talk radio.
iu

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Talk radio? Why bother? Cut the wire!
He he. Reminds me of what my sister said to me, though regarding music and Hifi: Hifi, completely meaningless. Have you not grown out of the silly rubbish.:)

Yep, there is no point in caring about this with speakers for talk radio if you are not interested in speakers for talk radio.In that you have a one point.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does your aunt have books on her bookshelves? I have had good success with small speakers on shelves, flanked tight by books left, right, above and below. It's like soffit mounting - no SBIR or edge diffraction.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wharfedale diamond 9.0 - will be fine for talk radio, and the price is difficult to beat.

I have a pair used as one pair of the surround speakers in a 7.1 system.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Wharfedale diamond 9.0 - will be fine for talk radio, and the price is difficult to beat.

I have a pair used as one pair of the surround speakers in a 7.1 system.

Thanks for the tip. :)

They seem good. Good price but unfortunately they are what I can see not to order where I live.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Does your aunt have books on her bookshelves? I have had good success with small speakers on shelves, flanked tight by books left, right, above and below. It's like soffit mounting - no SBIR or edge diffraction.
She can have them on her bookshelf if they are not too big of course. ...edge diffraction..hm yes. Did not think about that. Sounds smart.:)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
What do you think about these? On an ad page now. Buy now $ 95. Or join the action, .call bid/starting price $ 54.

Tannoy Reveal Studio Monitor

I did not know those Tannoys. Well maybe so? Maybe a little big. In which case does anyone know anything about them?:)

Attachments

• 20211122_000059561.jpeg
    20211122_000059561.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Those will do the job just fine.
Nice. :)

I'll see if the size is right for her and if she likes the red color .Then I buy, or rather she, them. I thought they looked cool but it's not me who will have them.:)
Of course ask the seller about condition and so on. I can always repaint them if she wants them in a different color.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
You can write further in the thread if you feel like it. Otherwise I will solve this. Was mostly a little curious, in general on this with speakers appropriate for talk radio. Never something I even reflected on. That I will find some talk radio speakers is no problem and as I said talk radio so it is not directly the question of "High end". In addition, my aunt is not picky about sound quality.:)

The Tannoys I mentioned above. I took a look at them. Advertiser writes:

The treble has the plastic changed shape a little at the top but nothing that affects the sound.

Sure.

Next .....

Jbl Control G1. Starting price $ 10. Twelve hours left on bidding. No bids yet.

Not the most beautiful in the world. Wonder how the seller reasons when he does not wash the speakers before photography? It does not increase the willingness to bid on them. Ugly speaker covers. But as I said, I'm not the one to have them.
Fun to look around at a few different speakers.

Maybe. I see foam edges in the bass element. I'll check with the seller if it's time for refoam

Attachments

• shot_2021-11-22_07-29-04.png
    shot_2021-11-22_07-29-04.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • 20211122_074209190.jpeg
    20211122_074209190.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Top Bottom