• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

speakers for desktop/nearfield listening

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi, I would like to get some speakers for my computer desk. Since they will be used nearfield, the most impoartant part is the on-axis being flat i think. I can supplement the bass with a small sub. I have a UMIK-1 to make measurements and I can also run equalizer apo to make small corrections.

Things I would like to have
1. Good nearfield performance
2. Not too large (needs to fit on desk)
3. Bass can be supplemented with a sub if required, but preference would be no sub to prevent downstairs neighbors from being disturbed
4. Self-powered (active)
5. Budget preferable <$1000, though for something really nice I can maybe go up to $1500. Ok with used/refurb.

I welcome your suggestions, thanks!. Half the fun in this hobby is the anticipation of new equipment :)

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I used to use Focal Alpha 65 and Alpha 50. Maybe not enough expansive for you. Really cheap in France, and I prefer the Alpha 50. Impressive in nearfield for mixing in truly non pro mode. 330€/pair.

mjwin

I would also recommend the Genelec 8030s. I've had a pair of the original versions since they first came out over 10 years ago. I use them for editing sound recordings and general listening at my desk. They're excellent in the near field as the drivers are very well integrated. And, as the manufacturers aren't afraid to show their measurements, all of the 8000 series Genelecs get a lot of positive comments here at ASR!

The bass output is adjustable to compensate for different situations, e.g. if your desk is close to a wall, and you might not need a sub for nearfield use, but I would definitely suggest that you get some kind of short stand to raise them off the desktop. They can be tilted back on their rubber mounts, but they work much better if raised to ear-level & away from reflective surfaces. (That comment goes for any desktop speaker though.)

Reactions: mkt
OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
somebody is selling a genelec 8030a nearby for $400, can probably negotiate it down a bit. I also see a focal alpha 65 but it's a bit more expensive at $650, and I can't find any spins on that speaker.

Senior NEET Engineer

The 8030C is a little bass anemic. I'd recommend pairing them with a sub.

Hi, I would like to get some speakers for my computer desk. Since they will be used nearfield, the most impoartant part is the on-axis being flat i think. I can supplement the bass with a small sub. I have a UMIK-1 to make measurements and I can also run equalizer apo to make small corrections.

Things I would like to have
1. Good nearfield performance
2. Not too large (needs to fit on desk)
3. Bass can be supplemented with a sub if required, but preference would be no sub to prevent downstairs neighbors from being disturbed
4. Self-powered (active)
5. Budget preferable <$1000, though for something really nice I can maybe go up to $1500. Ok with used/refurb.

I welcome your suggestions, thanks!. Half the fun in this hobby is the anticipation of new equipment :)

if you are still looking I just got a fantastic desktop system with Sound Artist LS3/5A and Yamaha RN803D, let me know if you need more details

Top Bottom