• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers for classical music

kwochal

Hi all :)

I would like to ask a question here in a place of a last hope in reason-abandoned world of audiophiles ;)

I'm looking for a set to connect to a TV (optical output only), only for classical music (spotify, berliner digital concert hall, some yt like frankfurt radio symphony etc). The room is not ideal, so to speak - no diffuser facing the supposed position of the speakers, there is a carpet, some curtains, not much and not really a possibility to upgrade it. Measurements: 3 m x 7m, speakers facing the longer wall.

I like clean sound, and concerning this is only for classical - heavy bass is not an option here. For the headphones I listen on HD800s and this is a nice signature for me.

I was thinking about Genelec G two as they would be easy to connect with some d/a converter, but I don't know if the 4 inch will suffice here, or if they are any better possibilities, or maybe the signature of genelec's wont be perfect.. The budget is around 1000 EUR for speakers + converter.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your help :)

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Hi all :)

I would like to ask a question here in a place of a last hope in reason-abandoned world of audiophiles ;)

I'm looking for a set to connect to a TV (optical output only), only for classical music (spotify, berliner digital concert hall, some yt like frankfurt radio symphony etc). The room is not ideal, so to speak - no diffuser facing the supposed position of the speakers, there is a carpet, some curtains, not much and not really a possibility to upgrade it. Measurements: 3 m x 7m, speakers facing the longer wall.

I like clean sound, and concerning this is only for classical - heavy bass is not an option here. For the headphones I listen on HD800s and this is a nice signature for me.

I was thinking about Genelec G two as they would be easy to connect with some d/a converter, but I don't know if the 4 inch will suffice here, or if they are any better possibilities, or maybe the signature of genelec's wont be perfect.. The budget is around 1000 EUR for speakers + converter.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your help :)
Welcome Aboard @kwochal.

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might be surprised by the bass produced.

It is possible to add a discrete (small) subwoofer when your budget permits.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
  • My best advice is a pair of Neumann KH80DSP and a cheap DAC.
  • Genelec 8020 and a cheap DAC.
  • Haven't been measured here yet but maybe check the KEF LSX, they might have an optical input so you could spare the DAC.

OP
K

kwochal

No doubt the LSX would be a great minimalistic solution, but are they that good? Because buying only speakers is very tempting, I won't lie

OP
K

kwochal

Ok, LSX looks good and are easy to live with.

About 8030C and 8020, there are no problems with connecting XLRs to tv set somehow?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might be surprised by the bass produced.

It is possible to add a discrete (small) subwoofer when your budget permits.

Welcome @kwochal !

Hope you stay here for a while. You will learn a lot and enjoy music a lot more. I am also a fan of Western Classical Music, which most of us see as "Classical" Music but there are other forms of it, from civilizations older than Europeans. Indian and Balinese Classical Musics come to mind. This out of the way.

I have no experience with the Genelec. I know from ASR posts and reviews, I know they're the real deal but in such a large room, I don't think the 8030C or other Genelec at the budget you strive for would be comfortable in your room. Unless you listen very close to the TV... even then you need a distance from the TV ...
I would recommend the Kef LSX too.

I would also second the recommendation to think seriously about a subwoofer when budget allows. It will make the system better when it is correctly integrated... A subwoofer is worth the hassle but few are plug and play.

As for optical to whatever the LSX accepts, I will leave it to others.

If you were in the USA, I would recommend the JBL LSR 308 + LSR310 sub + Whatever converter these guys would recommend to keep you at a less than $1100 budget . This System would rock.. err ... play:D classical music or any other genres, with brio.

Last edited:
OP
K

kwochal

Welcome @kwochal !

Hope you stay here for a while. You will learn a lot and enjoy music a lot more. I am also a fan of Western Classical Music, which most of us see as "Classical" Music but there are other forms of it, from civilizations older than Europeans. Indian and Balinese Classical Musics come to mind. This out of the way.

Yes, of course, I would say in my country even when you listen to western classical music it's so unusual than I have not even thought to be more specific ;)

Welcome @kwochal !
I have no experience with the Genelec. I know from ASR posts and reviews, I know they're the real deal but in such a large room, I don't think the 8030C or other Genelec at the budget you strive for would be comfortable in your room. Unless you listen very close to the TV... even then you need a distance from the TV ...
I would recommend the Kef LSX too.

I would also second the recommendation to think seriously about a subwoofer when budget allows. It will make the system better when it is correctly integrated... A subwoofer is worth the hassle but few are plug and play.

As for optical to whatever the LSX accepts, I will leave it to others.

If you were in the USA, I would recommend the JBL LSR 308 + LSR310 sub + Whatever converter these guys would recommend to keep you at a less than $1100 budget . This System would rock.. err ... play:D classical music or any other genres, with brio.

I would like to avoid buying the additional sub tbh. Ok, another vote for LSX, looks good

Tonygeno

Forum Donor
Given that you are trying to connect digitally, that kind of rules out the Genelecs. In that case, I think the Kef would be a good choice.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Yes, of course, I would say in my country even when you listen to western classical music it's so unusual than I have not even thought to be more specific ;)

I would like to avoid buying the additional sub tbh. Ok, another vote for LSX, looks good
I think he meant wouldn't recommend, as the LSX are even more limited in output and extension than the others (seriously, 4" coaxial is a joke). Another choice would be the Behringer 2031A as a cheap Genelec clone with some decent power.

OP
K

kwochal

I can connect digitally but I suppose something like Fiio D03K (or something similar) might do the work. I'm more afraid of connecting that to XLR in genelec studio models, in G two/three there are RCA inputs so no problem with that there

oboist

Suggest you consider Kali IN-5 which are in your price range. I think they go lower than genelec 8020 without sub, have XLR, TRS, and RCA input. I listen mostly to western classical and they sound great. At $700/pair you’ll have plenty left for a nice DAC. I also have Genelec with sub which is great but more expensive. I wouldn’t discount importance of bass for western classical. Bass drum and timpani sound is much better with deep bass. End of Shostakovich 4th Symphony without good bass would be very disappointing.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Suggest you consider Kali IN-5 which are in your price range. I think they go lower than genelec 8020 without sub, have XLR, TRS, and RCA input. I listen mostly to western classical and they sound great. At $700/pair you’ll have plenty left for a nice DAC. I also have Genelec with sub which is great but more expensive. I wouldn’t discount importance of bass for western classical. Bass drum and timpani sound is much better with deep bass. End of Shostakovich 4th Symphony without good bass would be very disappointing.
These, OP. Completely forgot about them, for some strange reason.

OP
K

kwochal

Alright, nice idea, noted :D Can you suggest any DAC that can be used for optical in for them better than this Fiio?

And what about Adam A5X, any good?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Alright, nice idea, noted :D Can you suggest any DAC that can be used for optical in for them better than this Fiio?

And what about Adam A5X, any good?
Both have been reviewed recently: the A5X isn't too bad, but it's worse than the IN-5 on many points (massive port resonance, way more distortion at higher levels, directivity error, obviously worse vertical dispersion).

Hope you can get significant wall gain, though, as these are still small speakers.

OP
K

kwochal

I don't know, tbh I don't think I listen too loudly, right now when I don't use headphones I listen on Sonos Play 1 in the same room and it's loud enough for me, but of course the quality is not amazing or anything

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I don't know, tbh I don't think I listen too loudly, right now when I don't use headphones I listen on Sonos Play 1 in the same room and it's loud enough for me, but of course the quality is not amazing or anything
Be forwarned, you might begin to play a lot louder with speakers that can do so.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Try to audition as many speakers as possible ( I know, it's hard to do these days )
Classical music seems to have a greater dynamic range than most music, so keep that in mind when choosing speakers. Also the transient bass response is important to get classical music to sound great.
Good luck on your quest and welcome aboard.

Top Bottom