• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Speakers for big room 500 sq. ft. Approx. $2500

Helicopter

Forum Donor
I am thinking about getting a good pair of floor standing speakers for my listening room. I've got 4 Polk Rci85 speakers in the walls. I've also got a stereo setup and can run a pair of Polk TSx550t, 1970 Klipsch HBRs, 1970s Sansui SP2000s, some JBL es30, and other stuff. I've got a bunch of vintage amps, a tube amp, some BPC amps including an HK3770 which is fine for power and transparency for now.

Room is 19.5*28 with vaulted ceiling 8 ft at edge and 12 in center. Tongue and groove pine over plywood ceiling, carpet over cork over luan over concrete floor, insulated 2x6 walls with ship lap on 2 and drywall on 2, but lots of (6 big) windows. There are a couple couches, a cabinet for electronics on one short wall, and I can put speakers and furniture however I want within reason. I usually sit on the couch centered about 18ft from speakers.

I would like to try some efficient and transparent floor standing speakers that are better than the Polk. I have some subs I can run if I want, but not needing subs might be an advantage. I'd like to keep it under $2500. I like what I see on Focal, Revel, and Elac, especially the Focal Aria 926 I can get for $2300 a pair right now. Would those be good in this room? Maybe I should wait a few months until my budget spreadsheet says I can spend $5k. Thoughts?

I am not totally ready to buy right now, but I am curious if something like the 926, Focal Chora 826, Revel Performa3 F206 is good or a room like this, or if I should get something with more cone surface area like the Aria 948 or Performa3 F208. I bet ELAC DFR52 is nice in a much smaller room too, but I like the $1200 price on those.

I also wonder if a bigger DFR62 or Chora 848 is coming in the next year as I would probably spring for something like that.

Back on topic, do you think a speaker like the Focal Aria 926 has the right properties for a room like mine?

Top Bottom