• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers deconstructed

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Atohm GT-HD speakers I demoed at PAVS 2021.
GT_1-2012-COUgyyPE.jpg
GT1-HD.

imageonline-co-merged-image - 2021-11-05T214747.592.png

GT2 and GT3-HD.

P1060875.jpg

IRL GT3-HD.

imageonline-co-merged-image - 2021-11-05T220158.915.png

The entry-level Sirocco 3.0.

My own shots:

PXL_20211024_141001377.jpg

The horrendous Davis Acoustics Courbet N°5

PXL_20211024_102104033 (2).jpg

The much greater Technics SB-G90M2.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Turn the image upside down, add a hex key, and it's the assembly manual for the IKEA Speeker.
:cool:

Lol. Am usually looking more for cabinet construction aspects. This one looks like it has a metal rod to brace the driver. Is less clear how the driver attaches to the baffle and other dampening materials. Frankly I find the driver deconstruction less interesting and see as more meant as a marketing ploy.

tuga

Major Contributor
Lol. Am usually looking more for cabinet construction aspects. This one looks like it has a metal rod to brace the driver. Is less clear how the driver attaches to the baffle and other dampening materials. Frankly I find the driver deconstruction less interesting and see as more meant as a marketing ploy.

tuga

Major Contributor
Frankly I find the driver deconstruction less interesting and see as more meant as a marketing ploy.

Maybe because you're more interested in cabinets?

A cabinet is just furniture in the end, it's the driver that tasnduces the electrical signal into sound.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe because you're more interested in cabinets?

A cabinet is just furniture in the end, it's the driver that tasnduces the electrical signal into sound.

Yes, that is what I said!

A speaker is a system and can readily buy nice drivers. Without a good cabinet and solid crossover design, the transducers themselves are not capable of producing a quality listening experience. I can tell a lot more about the quality of the design by the cabinet deconstruction than one of the drivers :).

Last edited by a moderator:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Oh, I dunno -- there does seem to be value added by appropriate bracing and de-vibrationing ;) of the driver's bits that are intended to be immobile.
Some folks go to great (i.e., obsessive) lengths to add such things to resto-mods of vintage, (more or less) classic loudspeakers such as the Polk Audio Monitor Series Models 7 and 10. :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I dunno -- there does seem to be value added by appropriate bracing and de-vibrationing ;) of the driver's bits that are intended to be immobile.
Some folks go to great (i.e., obsessive) lengths to add such things to resto-mods of vintage, (more or less) classic loudspeakers such as the Polk Audio Monitor Series Models 7 and 10. :)
Other than taking up internal volume, I can't see a down side to proper bracing. Obviously there is a point of diminishing returns, but vintage speakers are seldom braced to that point. Or even braced at all ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Other than taking up internal volume, I can't see a down side to proper bracing. Obviously there is a point of diminishing returns, but vintage speakers are seldom braced to that point. Or even braced at all ;)
I don't disagree :)

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This one looks like it has a metal rod to brace the driver. Is less clear how the driver attaches to the baffle and other dampening materials.
Most, if any, Monitor Audio drivers are attached the same way: one very long screw from the back of the speaker:
ma_platinum_300_back_ebony.jpg
ma_silver_100_back_satin_white.jpg

I had to replace a few, thanks to my cat...

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
M&K X10 dual-driver subwoofer. Dual 10 inch here, also made in 12 and 15 inches. Their new X15+ has 700 watts and is the 2nd THX Dominus rated subwoofer released, with Perlisten the other. Perlisten’s flagship subwoofers, the D215s and D212s, also use this design.

th-1563167864.jpg

M&K has done this design for ~30 years, commonly with 350 watts of AB amplification (for 10 inchers). This is a "push-pull" design, vs. the more discussed here "dual opposed." From AVSforum: "Push/pull reduces second order distortion, dual opposed just helps cancel out cabinet vibrations." And, I found this on ASR, for some more info.

This site is :cool:.

Today's artist & album recommendation.

Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Last edited:

MoreWatts

Forum Donor
Feelin' a subwoofer vibe. SVS PB-13 Ultra:

SVS.jpg