• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers deconstructed

TankTop

On the strength of this photograph, I'd have to agree it appears to be optimistically priced (i.e., from the perspective of its manufacturer).
I don't know the street value of the drivers, though...
It takes the tweeter out of a $10k speaker and a modified/improved driver from a $6k speaker, puts it into handmade boxes with mundorf caps. Many here don’t see the value in that but getting a handmade, limited quantity speaker in a retro package will have value to many, I bet they sell out instantly.

YSC

Major Contributor
I don't have "exploded views", but prosound.ixbt.com often opens monitors to get a look inside.

Pioneer RM-05:
open-large.jpg

amp-large.jpg

RCF Mytho 8 (nice to finally see high quality caps):
open-large.jpg

lm-large.jpg

Yamaha HS7:
open-large.jpg

Yamaha HS8:
open-large.jpg

Dynadio BM6A Classic:
open-l.jpg

Fostex PM0.3dH:
image3.jpg

HEDD Type 05:
image3.jpg

And some Genelecs I found on the web:
8030A
View attachment 58276
View attachment 58277
View attachment 58283
8351A
View attachment 58280
F-One subwoofer
View attachment 58282View attachment 58281
Great to see that they still use toroidal transformers.
this actually surprised me that they didn't damp the internal space of the Genelecs by some sort of wool or something

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this actually surprised me that they didn't damp the internal space of the Genelecs by some sort of wool or something

The Genelecs may just keep to reducing internal parts from vibrating badly.

In a smaller cabinet, need to have good airflow to port and to dissipate heat. ;)

Cider

That's an amazing lot of work going into those. Looks great. Please send the finished photos of them in all their glory. [and of course how they sound to you]

Thank you! I'm pleased with the results. I'll try to stay on topic here, but I put a photo in the "kit we bought" thread.

I have no idea how these perform, but they're cool to look at:

1.jpg

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Bobo77

Dynaudio Contour 20

View attachment 73517

Dynaudio Contour 20iView attachment 73518

The new 20i, looks very similar on the outside, but apparently the drivers are new and the crossover has been updated. I wonder what that bag thing is in the original version?
I am picking up a pair of Dynaudio Original Contour 20s on Saturday. They are New-in-Box and I am getting a great deal on them at sub $3K out-the-door. That internal "bag thing" (see cutaway on this thread), is obvious. The fact that they have old Danish tee-shirts jammed into them REALLY increases the excitement quotient for me!
I know that the crossover and tweeter has been changed incrementally on the new model, but reports I have read say that the new ones sound basically the same to those listeners who have posted comparisons. I am thinking that the tee shirts are the special sauce that is keeping the older model competitive with the latest tech improvements!

Last edited:

tuga

Major Contributor
Chario Academy Serendipity

HEk12WL.jpg

Top Bottom