• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers Buzzing When Playing PC Games :(

Sylafari

So I have this issue whenever I play games with my PC where suddenly my speakers start to crackle (not super loud just a little kind of like a slightly louder hiss) as soon as the game starts to render (so from a general observation, it seems like when I put the GPU into some actual use). I'm using a RME ADI-2 DAC via USB and connected via RCA cables to a Nuforce STA 200 (This was when their was no published Amir measurements :confused: ) and from their it goes into a pair of ATC SCM 7 V3. All of the outlets are plugged into one power strip.

Was wondering what could possibly be at fault; could it be the amplifier? or something else? Could getting an amplifier that takes balanced inputs possibly solve this issue? On a side note, stereo amplifiers are pretty expensive when you want >80 Watts.

OP
Sylafari

Sylafari

Just tested my Campfire Andromeda with the IEM port on the ADI-2 DAC, 0 hiss when playing any game (Hitman 2 in this case). Also have the THX AAA 789 connected via balanced cables and their is no hiss or crackle on that either with the HD 800. But when I go through the speakers, suddenly the crackle occurs. A bit vexxing to say the least!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Definitely noise leaking through the ground to the amp. I have one of these ifi iDefender 3.0 to review which is supposed to break the ground connection. Here is a too long video testimonial about it (play at 1.5x speed):

Do you want to get one and see if it is effective? It is $49 I think.

OP
Sylafari

Sylafari

$49 for the price of my sanity might be worth it. Thanks for the help! Also was wondering if I had a balanced input stereo amplifier (Looking at NAD C268), would that do anything?

OP
Sylafari

Sylafari

Got the iFi Defender 3.0 in and while it helped eliminate the speaker buzz when playing games, it introduced it's own noise into the system. It was much lower than the speaker buzz during games, but now when the GPU is not under load, their is an additional noise in the background (more high pitched) o_O. Probably going to return it and see about getting a stereo power amplifier with balanced inputs. Also I have isolated that it indeed is the ground noise that is passed through the USB cable. Heard the Schiit Eitr galvanically isolates but not sure if I want to go that route and its a lot more expensive.

Thanks for the help so far amirm!

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I had my XBOX One S connected to TV via HDMI, then to my speakers amp via analogue cable. All good, for gaming the sound was decent ans without background noise.

After adding the Kinect I got a huge amount of noise, but given the 2-poles SMPS of Kinect I see no reason for ground loop. I haven't bothered to try my isolation transformer or other workaround, I just purchased an optical cable and I'm fine now. I'll probably search for the root-cause later, but for now my XBOX + Kinect is completely noise free.

OP
Sylafari

Sylafari

I had my XBOX One S connected to TV via HDMI, then to my speakers amp via analogue cable. All good, for gaming the sound was decent ans without background noise.

After adding the Kinect I got a huge amount of noise, but given the 2-poles SMPS of Kinect I see no reason for ground loop. I haven't bothered to try my isolation transformer or other workaround, I just purchased an optical cable and I'm fine now. I'll probably search for the root-cause later, but for now my XBOX + Kinect is completely noise free.

Using an Optical Cable solved my problem too but sometimes it hiccups and static noise is heard (not sure why exactly yet...) and then it disappears after a while, this doesn't happen often but it is annoying when it does. My TV's Optical Out doesn't suffer from these same issues. I think the best solution for me is to just get a speaker amplifier with balanced connections.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
In my case the noise is generated either by the Kinect itself, either by its external SMPS, so an hypothetical analogue balanced connection may not help in my case.

However, going balanced did helped me out with my speakers monitors. Also, isolation transformer did helped too with ground loops, especially after lifting the ground safely (devices like Hum-X).

Stump909

I'm currently having the same issue. If my render speed overshoots 60fps, or I scroll my mouse on a mostly white screen, a horrible static comes through my monitors. Oddly, this is the same chain that gives me absolutely zero hiss or interference when using headphones. I know it's coming through the DAC because the problem disappears if I unplug it, but not the amp...

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
If not already, mute all not-needed input sources, like microphone etc. This might be desktop internal noises, sounds difficult to get rid of it.
What DAC are you using?

Stump909

If not already, mute all not-needed input sources, like microphone etc. This might be desktop internal noises, sounds difficult to get rid of it.
What DAC are you using?

Grace SDAC/JDS Atom stack. Previously had a Audio-gd product, which I figured was the cause. I guess I'm having a hard time grasping why my headphones reject the obvious interference and my monitors are unable to do so. It's also annoying that my mobo has a 'DAC Output' USB port, with it's own "private" circuitry, that seems to make zero difference.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
If you disconnect the RCA cable between SDAC and Atom is the noise still there?
BTW, try moving the SDAC/Atom as much as possible away from the PC case; coils from the SMPS will generate lot of noise when CPU & GPU starts doing their job in intensive tasks. See if this lowers the noise.
Also, loose the mouse or swap it with a wired one, just for a short test to see if the noise persists.
Can you find a laptop running on battery, connect the SDAC+Atom and check again is noise is still there?

Stump909

If you disconnect the RCA cable between SDAC and Atom is the noise still there?

No, once I decouple the DAC from the PC or AMP it goes away.

BTW, try moving the SDAC/Atom as much as possible away from the PC case; coils from the SMPS will generate lot of noise when CPU & GPU starts doing their job in intensive tasks. See if this lowers the noise.

That's next on my list. Moving my PC a little seemed to decrease the noises slightly

Can you find a laptop running on battery, connect the SDAC+Atom and check again is noise is still there?

Laptop sounds good, as does moving the monitors to separate outlets. Unfortunately the latter isn't a solution since it's inconveniently tied to the lightswitch. I really just wish there was a way to remove interference from the USB port. Maybe my surge protector's EMI/RFI filter claims are just totally garbage. What's wild is I specifically selected parts for their low noise-output and the power supply for its quality measurements.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Hmmm... now I wonder if in your case a Schiit Wyrd or an iFi +5V injector will help. I would love to see if the expensive Intona isolator would do something here...or not.

Of course, don't start spending your money, just use a longer USB cable, but one with a decent shield inside (hard to say that without taking apart, but usually is >10 USD it might be OK).

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
could be the noise going over powerline from PC powersupply to speakers power supply. Try putting two ripple overload powerstrips in front of both PC and your speakers. I had very nasty similar issue with fitness treadmill killing all my good electronics with this power noise. It was only solved when I put the strip for both treadmill and electronics (Wifi died surprisingly).

OP
Sylafari

Sylafari

Replacing my speaker amplifier with ones with Balanced inputs and using Balanced out on my DAC has eliminated all the speaker hiss issues I had. Finally can play PC games in peace!

Top Bottom