• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speakers Buzzing When Playing PC Games :(

Stump909

So, I found a solution, but I'm not sure how or why it works. I swapped my RCA to TS for an Monoprice RCA to Balanced. I chose the Monoprice once because the ground prong isn't jumpered to the (-). Instead it's just a wire mesh, from source to input, and wrapped around the + and - inside the sleeve. I know I didn't magically create a balanced connection, but the interference is night and day, in conjunction with a separate outlet. So new wire + separate outlet got the job done.

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Until one of our resident EEs shows up to correct me, I'll say that separating signal cold from ground is the key. (Wait - the thing that changed made the difference??!!?) Because the TS plug shorted signal ground & chassis PE, any junk on the ground went straight to the amp's input. IOW, the RME's only concerned with keeping a quality signal between hot & cold, and the TS added another variable.

Dexter_prog

has anyone been able to fix this WITHOUT balanced inputs? I'm having this issue, my amp doesn't have balanced inputs and I won't change my amp because of this. I've isolated to problem to having the monitor connected to the video card (unplugging the monitor from the socket doesn't fix it), so it's definitely related to the graphics card.

HemiRick

Does the PC have a quality name brand power supply or some no name chinese junk? Are the video drivers up to date? How much wattage doe the video card need compared to the size of the power supply?

Dexter_prog

Does the PC have a quality name brand power supply or some no name chinese junk? Are the video drivers up to date? How much wattage doe the video card need compared to the size of the power supply?
Yes, I've build it as a gaming PC. It's got a seasonic gold plus PSU. Audio system is connected to a Audiowalle TP1000 power filter. Both pc and the Audiowalle TP1000 power filter connected to separate outlets.

Nvidia drivers are the latest.

MrOtto

Strangely this happens only when starting a game, and not playing music, on my PC.
USB to Topping DX5 with unbalanced cables to JBL 305P MKII. Music and desktop fine, whenever starting a game, the buzzing starts.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Strangely this happens only when starting a game, and not playing music, on my PC.
Video RAM reads&writes?

Try removing all audio in/out cables from inside the PC (usually the ones going feom mobe to case's jack), but also remove all USB cable porta from mobo. See if the noise is still there or not.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
USB to Topping DX5 with unbalanced cables to JBL 305P MKII.
There's your problem.

Guess when your PC's power draw is the highest with the greatest variation? (You could ask a Kill-A-Watt for more detail.) Modern high-power GPUs are commonly dwarfing CPU power consumption, so it only makes sense that them being used would make ground loop issues the most obvious.

Nice thread necro job btw.

MrOtto

Why make another thread when this issue is already discussed?

The solution for my variant of the thread starters issue was using balanced signal cables. I swapped to a pair of XLR cables between Topping DX5 and JBL 305P mkII and the buzzing when running heavy graphics went away. I did no changes to the USB ports/cable connections.

I used this which was included with my used JBL 310S sub: https://shop.klotz-ais.com/pub/Graphics/Spezialseite/TP414_e.pdf A relative inexpensive and simple cable, luckily just long enough, 1m, for my application. I had to pull the two cables apart since they were bonded together by the insulation.

Top Bottom