• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Wire 'Burn in'

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I lost track of how many times I heard something new in a recording when I swapped in a new XYZ, only to go back to the old cable/component and discover it was there all the time.

Yes, that great disappointment.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I dunno, I would be very concerned if cables changed over time. Basically impossible to design something properly if that was the case.

JSmith

Master Contributor
What will they think of next!
:D

Unfortunately it is a thing and has been around for some time;

1616463703905.png

Funny how they don't do this for the cables used to connect flight computers in a aeroplane.

JSmith

adc

:D

Unfortunately it is a thing and has been around for some time;

View attachment 119812

Funny how they don't do this for the cables used to connect flight computers in a aeroplane.

JSmith

https://www.stereophile.com/content/cable-cooking-1

"Unless cabling is completely disconnected for a long period of time, we don't think they completely revert back to their original, raw state. However, in our experience, all cables retrograde in performance over time. Break-in or conditioning is a long-term, but not permanent phenomenon. Cabling performance improves (as does one's system) with a periodic "recharge" of 24 to 36 hours every few months, and many long-time Cooker owners continue to enjoy this benefit. This makes owning the Cable Cooker a great long-term value. Highly recommended!"

I think my head just exploded.

BullBuchanan

To be clear, i think its subjective snake oil and the mind wanting to hear a difference, so it convinces you there is a difference. Its just cool to see the graphs which 'put to bed' any notion of any change in frequencies and it is indeed your brain playing tricks on you

People have done null tests, like Ethan Winer that have caused all sorts of harrumphing, but I think that's your best best:

https://audiofi.net/2019/01/audio-engineer-claims-his-null-tester-settles-the-debate-on-wires/

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some things in life are pointless to measure because of physics.

I am still laughing at this. That was always my answer to my son after he would ask why a fresh hell had befallen him while playing outside: "...because of physics."

HorizonsEdge

It is all about the alignment of the orbitals reinforced by the running of current. I am so happy that the addition of an image will serve to befuddle and bias the disbelievers!
1616469872663.png

MrPeabody

Just to be clear, I didn't decide to change my cables because I wanted to do a hearing test for "burn-in".

My primary motivation was simply to see if I could hear any difference between my extensively used Mogami 2534 cable and a freshly built and assembled Mogami 2549 cable. In other words, if I put in a cable with less shielding from RF and EM into my system, will I hear any difference (i.e. is my system affected by interference of this nature and if so, will switching to a cable with significantly less shielding ability make these interferences audible?)

Info from Mogami's website on my original cable:
  • Mogami 2534 should also be used where intense RFI interference is a problem. Mogami 2534 provides an improvement in signal to noise of 10-20db over equivalent twisted pair cables. Double conductors quad cables are more effective in cancelling noise that can get past even the best of shields and is critical in an environment of high RF and EM interference.

The conclusion to my question was, no, I could not hear any difference between the two cables after having used the new cable over an extensive time. Therefore, I surmised that my system was not being affected by any audible (to me) interference from RF or EM.

However, and this is what I talked about it in my previous post, is when I first swapped in the new and freshly made Mogami 2549 cable, I immediately noticed that something sounded very wrong/strange (as compared to the original cable) - I'm sorry that I can't explain this any better. Surprised at this, I let the system play with the new cable for another few hours and when I came back to listen again, everything sounded normal, or as expected again (i.e. same as with the other cable).

Therefore, I attributed the strange and unexpected sound I initially heard from the new cable as perhaps being caused due to lack of burn-in, because when I came back a few hours later to listen again, everything sounded as expected again. Since I didn't change any other part of the system during that time, this was the only explanation that fit for me. Whether my interpretation is correct or not, I'm not sure, but burn-in is a theory that could fit this phenomenon.

I have a question. It wouldn't occur to me that noise picked up in the cable would affect the sound of music if I didn't hear any noise with the source (connected via that cable) powered off or muted, and the amplifier volume/gain turned up to where I usually have it. If I didn't hear any noise in this scenario, it wouldn't occur to me that there might might be audible noise present when listening to music (or whatever) transmitted from that source, via that cable. In fact, the test I would use to make certain that the music isn't being degraded by noise is this, i.e., power off the source component, turn up the volume to the usual setting, and listen to see if I hear any noise being picked up in the cable. I am curious why you would not regard this simple test as a reliable way to determine whether noise picked up by that cable would be degrading the music transmitted from that source.

MrPeabody

Robin L

Master Contributor
I'll give you ten-to-one odds that at the manufacturing facility where these are made, the people who stick those little direction stickers on the cables put them on randomly.
Came with mine.
On the other hand, they were cheap, came with good termination and the right length, so let's not be too hard to these folks.

nerdoldnerdith

You don't want your cables to burn in. It makes your music sound bitter instead of sweet. You should put them in the freezer whenever you're not using them to realign the electrons. Also, make sure you use risers when connecting them to your speakers so as to prevent them from touching the floor. The floor is lava. Lava burns in cables.

JSmith

Master Contributor
You should put them in the freezer whenever you're not using them to realign the electrons.
I developed a liquid nitrogen cooling system that runs along the cables keeping them icy cold, so they remain cryogenically treated. The effect is the music sounds like it's coming from the heavens and created by angels.

JSmith

Robin L

Master Contributor
I developed a liquid nitrogen cooling system that runs along the cables keeping them icy cold, so they remain cryogenically treated. The effect is the music sounds like it's coming from the heavens and created by angels.

JSmith
Once those electrons slip under the self-noise of absolute zero, entities from the nethers start slippin' between the notes.
Use extreme caution.
[ya know that Jane Siberry/k.d. lang duet "Calling all angels"? Yeah, you really don't want all of 'em. trust me].

Last edited:
Top Bottom