• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Speaker Testing: why mono is better

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm, when you listen to mono, do you sum both channels together? I do that on my PC, they don't sound good at all.
I started to sum them when I was doing AB testing at my workstation between left and right channels. There, the two had to be identical and hence the mono conversion.

But these days I just listen to one speaker from one channel. I don't do any mono conversion.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I started to sum them when I was doing AB testing at my workstation between left and right channels. There, the two had to be identical and hence the mono conversion.

But these days I just listen to one speaker from one channel. I don't do any mono conversion.
I see. I don't enjoy listening to summed channels at all, they image weird to me. Probably a preference thing? Anyways, thanks for the chiming in.

thewas

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see. I don't enjoy listening to summed channels at all, they image weird to me. Probably a preference thing?
That depends also on the way the recording/mix was created, intensity stereophony is mono compatible, time-of-arrival stereophony is not.

bennybbbx

I see. I don't enjoy listening to summed channels at all, they image weird to me. Probably a preference thing? Anyways, thanks for the chiming in.

every music record use a reverb and have a nice room attached. this is also in rock music but with less and short reverb.on ealry days they use plate reverb. when you mix it to mono then strange sound happen to the reverb. hear only 1 channel i think is better than mix to mono.in this video can hear how reverb sond.

hear it with headphones and speakers. if the reverb on speaker in stereo sound not so big as in this example then maybe your speakers mid range is too slow

beagleman

I think it widely depends on the recording.

Some stuff sounds fine summed, some creates cancellations. Some ambiance and stuff in pop/rock recordings is created intentionally by having phase shifts from left to right channel, and never sound "Same" when summed. In fact they actually cancel each other.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
I think it widely depends on the recording.

Some stuff sounds fine summed, some creates cancellations. Some ambiance and stuff in pop/rock recordings is created intentionally by having phase shifts from left to right channel, and never sound "Same" when summed. In fact they actually cancel each other.
Yeah I think this is the case. Acoustics and live orchestral music sounded good in summed mono, whereas modern recordings sounded meh in my setup.

Top Bottom