• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Suggestions For Nearfield Listening That Sound Exciting

thedantestyle

Hey all, as the title suggests - I'm wanting to set up a near-field listening situation with speakers set up on a large desk, toed in with the front of the speaker about 70cm from my head and 130cm away from each other (a large monitor)

Obviously, I could go for studio monitors, but my understanding is that they're purposely built with a very flat frequency response - but I want something a bit more engaging to listen to.

I am happy to get something active or passive - I have an integrated amp here already.

I will also be hooking the speakers up to a subwoofer.

Speakers will be close to a wall, so I guess I'd need something front or down-ported?

I do enjoy a bit of a warm sound - but not afraid to eq.

Space wise - again I'm working on a desk albeit a big one - so probably a 5" main driver would be the biggest I'd want to fit here - smaller would be better if I can still get decent 'warmth' out of them as they'll be accompanied by a sub for the lower registers.

Budget-wise - talking USD even though I live in Australia, I'd like to stay under $600ish USD so the kef's that i've seen to be popular in these discussions would be out of the budget.

I'd love some ideas or input here - I love my Wharfedale 4.2evos but obviously, they're way too big for the task.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
If you are happy to go for EQ, then get studio monitors. Even if the FR is not to your taste, EQ can give you whatever FR you like.

In any case flat FR doesn't mean "dull" or "uninteresting" It is basically what speakers should be delivering for a correct sounding in room response.

OP
T

thedantestyle

If you are happy to go for EQ, then get studio monitors. Even if the FR is not to your taste, EQ can give you whatever FR you like.

In any case flat FR doesn't mean "dull" or "uninteresting" It is basically what speakers should be delivering for a correct sounding in room response.
Interesting - my EQ experience is limited to headphones (but obvioulsy the same premise) Some headphones don't take well to eq - others area amazing - like my LCD-X

Would it be the same with monitors? Some eq'ing without sounding rubbish than others?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You want exciting and warm? Budget under 600.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I second this. If budget allows go for Neumann KH80DSP or Genelec 8x20, perfect with the matching sub (Neumann KH750 or Genelec 7x40/50) or any other decent sub with builtin line level crossover. You won't be disappointed.

Doctors11

Hey all, as the title suggests - I'm wanting to set up a near-field listening situation with speakers set up on a large desk, toed in with the front of the speaker about 70cm from my head and 130cm away from each other (a large monitor)

Obviously, I could go for studio monitors, but my understanding is that they're purposely built with a very flat frequency response - but I want something a bit more engaging to listen to.

I am happy to get something active or passive - I have an integrated amp here already.

Speakers will be close to a wall, so I guess I'd need something front or down-ported?

Space wise - again I'm working on a desk albeit a big one - so probably a 5" main driver would be the biggest I'd want to fit here - smaller would be better if I can still get decent 'warmth' out of them as they'll be accompanied by a sub for the lower registers.

Budget-wise - talking USD even though I live in Australia, I'd like to stay under $600ish USD so the kef's that i've seen to be popular in these discussions would be out of the budget.

I'd love some ideas or input here - I love my Wharfedale 4.2evos but obviously, they're way too big for the task.
If you love your Wharfedales why not the Evo 4.1?

OP
T

thedantestyle

If you love your Wharfedales why not the Evo 4.1?
I could - but not sure if they're well suited for such nearfield listening? Also, I believe these require lots of distance from walls.. That's what I've read

OP
T

thedantestyle

I second this. If budget allows go for Neumann KH80DSP or Genelec 8x20, perfect with the matching sub (Neumann KH750 or Genelec 7x40/50) or any other decent sub with builtin line level crossover. You won't be disappointed.
I definitely couldn't budget this high... These are studio monitors though - wouldn't they also be very flat? Or are you suggested to get them an EQ?

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Like others have said just get monitors…

…. And a subwoofer with the bass EQed up a bit.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I could - but not sure if they're well suited for such nearfield listening? Also, I believe these require lots of distance from walls.. That's what I've read
They still have the slot port around the base as far as I could see, so should be better than any rear ported speaker for "close to wall" placement.

Mal

I love my Wharfedale 4.2evos but obviously, they're way too big for the task.
What about Wharfedale Diamond 9s? They are quite a bit smaller than even the Evo 4.1s. Same size as KEF LSX. I'm using them near field as computer speakers. They are front ported. If you don't love them, at least you'll not have spent much money, and have something half decent to use, while you save for a pair of KEF LSX IIs,... or Genelecs... and you *might* love them...

OP
T

thedantestyle

I'm confused. Do you want to listen to speakers or do you want to listen to music?

Jim

What do you mean exactly? So its entirely possible I'm understanding teh nature of monitors wrongly if so my apologies.

I was asking about eq becuase I've been led to believe monitors don't really sound 'nice' - they aren't meant to, they're meant to be very honest and flat, rather than colouring the music in a pleasant to listen to way. Since they're used for mixing. A bit like the colour settings on my monitor being a bit more muted when I do video work.

I come from the world of audiophile headphones where the Harmann curve is a sort of vague benchmark for what people like hearing. And I lean that way to, I like a bit of a higher low mids and upper base lush, and a bit of a peaked uppers for example.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I THINK the Harmon headphone curve is supposed to approximate the sound of flat speakers in a good room (speakers that measure flat in an anechoic chamber). And MAYBE the bass boost helps to compensate for losing the deep bass you normally feel in your chest.

I think you want a subwoofer (a good one) and then maybe some EQ to boost the highs.

JohnJCallanan

Just get the Kali lp6 or in5 monitors. Flat is good, and they eq well and come with a DSP for EQ dip switches in the back

OP
T

thedantestyle

I apologize for not being clearer. Here is how I view this subject:

One segment of listeners want a speaker that is an accurate reproducer of the recording. Some monitors are of this ilk, and some are possibly less so. To these listeners, the equipment is simply a means to an end, and that end is to hear the recording, no matter what it sounds like. If the recording is glorious, then they will hear a glorious recording. If the recording is garbage, then they will hear a garbage recording.

Other people want the recording to sound a particular way. You mentioned the word "exciting". Some other people might want "smooth", or "musical" or "lush". To this segment, accuracy is of secondary importance; they want something that is, to them, attractive. Of course, any equipment that displays these properties displays them all the time, and modifies all recordings with this "flavor" or "attractiveness" .... even the glorious ones.

I call this "listening to the speaker". You could also use the same terminology for people who "listen to the tube amp" or "listen to the moving coil cartridge."

Some people find great satisfaction in this, and some don't. Some retain the same affections for many years, and some change rather quickly, feeding the "upgrade-itis" monster.
It helps a person to know which they themselves are. That way, they don't get waylaid by unscrupulous retailers or advertisers, ending up spending money for unrealized goals. That can be frustrating and expensive!

Generally speaking, the qualities listeners find "attractive" are distortions. You can buy apps (or get some free) that give a person the same effect. And you can apply them to an accurate speaker. That way, you have the best of all possible worlds, so to speak. You have a speaker that provides attractive sound, or exciting sound, or musical sound, and with a keystroke, you also have a speaker that provides accurate sound. :)

Jim

Wow, this was interesting to read - okay so yes I listen to the speakers most definitely.

So what apps would do this on the computer? I use APO on the pc for eq on my headphones - but I'm guessing you're talking about something different to this?

So this does make sense.. It's hard to find a review about any monitor that talks about how much it likes getting eq'd - but I suppose any good monitor should happily handle a bit of eq fiddling.

Tupisac

So what apps would do this on the computer? I use APO on the pc for eq on my headphones - but I'm guessing you're talking about something different to this?

Yes. We're talking resonances, harmonics and other tricks. I'd go with a VST plugins like tube simulators, compressors and other effects. Maybe OP knows some easier routes like certain apps.

YSC

Major Contributor
I definitely couldn't budget this high... These are studio monitors though - wouldn't they also be very flat? Or are you suggested to get them an EQ?
studio monitors with neutral response and controlled directivity control should be among the best ones for EQ flexibility as their off-axis and reflecting sound don't got "off" compared to on axis

Tupisac

People in this clip don't look like they're complaining:

Granted, it is a promo video, but still - them artists and producers, pretty tough crowd to please. I think they know what they're doing ;)

I strongly suggest to check nearest amazon and just try a pair of JBL 305p for a week. If you have a sub with crossover at 80 Hz - even better. If not, consider throwing in an LSR310S. You should stay well within the budget and if you won't find such set properly engaging, just return it.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow, this was interesting to read - okay so yes I listen to the speakers most definitely.

So this does make sense.. It's hard to find a review about any monitor that talks about how much it likes getting eq'd - but I suppose any good monitor should happily handle a bit of eq fiddling.
You hear people say "neutral" and "flat" when talking about "studio monitors" and that doesn't sound fun to you. It didn't sound fun to me either at first, because in many contexts calling something "flat" does not sound like an exciting adjective. Who want's a flat soda? However, the term flat doesn't mean dull or have anything to do with excitement or specifically how it sounds, it's a term that refers to how the speaker measures. It simply means the speaker (or system) is able to produce all of the frequencies at roughly the same amplitude across it's range. Maybe the term neutral sounds better to you.

If you have not experienced a full range and neutral system (20Hz-20kHz with a relatively flat frequency response within that range), then you do not really know if that's what you'd prefer. I did not really know or understand what that sounded like until I actually heard such a full range and system in a friends recording studio. Once I heard it, it was a revelation to me and I knew exactly what I wanted to hear at home. A system that can play this way at the volumes you want to listen to does indeed sound exciting, assuming you are listening to music that you find exciting.

Generically speaking, achieving this linear response near field in a normal small domestic room will require a minimum of one sub (a huge part of "exciting") in addition to the desktop monitors/speakers, along with proper crossovers and DSP (room correction software or EQ) to fix the room response. This is at a minimum, and room treatments should really be part of that equation as well, but most people unfortunately struggle with pulling the trigger on that for all sorts of very real reasons.

You do not have to do all of this day one, and honestly it'd likely be too overwhelming if you tried. It took me years to get there in my own room. Your best bet is to start with flat/neutral speakers with smooth off axis response, because then you can always EQ what you need to get think you what you want now. If you start with something else, but continue to evolve and improve your knowledge, listening skills, and system, you'll very likely end up replacing inferior speakers with speakers that have a flatter response. There is no harm in that route, and it's what many of us do, but you can save time and money and skip that step if you start off better.

Top Bottom