• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Suggestions For Nearfield Listening That Sound Exciting

YSC

Major Contributor
I definitely couldn't budget this high... These are studio monitors though - wouldn't they also be very flat? Or are you suggested to get them an EQ?
studio monitors with neutral response and controlled directivity control should be among the best ones for EQ flexibility as their off-axis and reflecting sound don't got "off" compared to on axis

Tupisac

Obviously, I could go for studio monitors, but my understanding is that they're purposely built with a very flat frequency response - but I want something a bit more engaging to listen to.

People in this clip don't look like they're complaining:

Granted, it is a promo video, but still - them artists and producers, pretty tough crowd to please. I think they know what they're doing ;)

I strongly suggest to check nearest amazon and just try a pair of JBL 305p for a week. If you have a sub with crossover at 80 Hz - even better. If not, consider throwing in an LSR310S. You should stay well within the budget and if you won't find such set properly engaging, just return it.

anotherhobby

Forum Donor
Wow, this was interesting to read - okay so yes I listen to the speakers most definitely.

So what apps would do this on the computer? I use APO on the pc for eq on my headphones - but I'm guessing you're talking about something different to this?

So this does make sense.. It's hard to find a review about any monitor that talks about how much it likes getting eq'd - but I suppose any good monitor should happily handle a bit of eq fiddling.
You hear people say "neutral" and "flat" when talking about "studio monitors" and that doesn't sound fun to you. It didn't sound fun to me either at first, because in many contexts calling something "flat" does not sound like an exciting adjective. Who want's a flat soda? However, the term flat doesn't mean dull or have anything to do with excitement or specifically how it sounds, it's a term that refers to how the speaker measures. It simply means the speaker (or system) is able to produce all of the frequencies at roughly the same amplitude across it's range. Maybe the term neutral sounds better to you.

If you have not experienced a full range and neutral system (20Hz-20kHz with a relatively flat frequency response within that range), then you do not really know if that's what you'd prefer. I did not really know or understand what that sounded like until I actually heard such a full range and system in a friends recording studio. Once I heard it, it was a revelation to me and I knew exactly what I wanted to hear at home. A system that can play this way at the volumes you want to listen to does indeed sound exciting, assuming you are listening to music that you find exciting.

Generically speaking, achieving this linear response near field in a normal small domestic room will require a minimum of one sub (a huge part of "exciting") in addition to the desktop monitors/speakers, along with proper crossovers and DSP (room correction software or EQ) to fix the room response. This is at a minimum, and room treatments should really be part of that equation as well, but most people unfortunately struggle with pulling the trigger on that for all sorts of very real reasons.

You do not have to do all of this day one, and honestly it'd likely be too overwhelming if you tried. It took me years to get there in my own room. Your best bet is to start with flat/neutral speakers with smooth off axis response, because then you can always EQ what you need to get think you what you want now. If you start with something else, but continue to evolve and improve your knowledge, listening skills, and system, you'll very likely end up replacing inferior speakers with speakers that have a flatter response. There is no harm in that route, and it's what many of us do, but you can save time and money and skip that step if you start off better.

Top Bottom