• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Stand Modifying

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
These are my once and always stands!
If for instance, a Kef R3 replaced the Spendors, it would need to sit perhaps four or five inches higher.
The speaker sits on a bar which is visible at the front. A single metal bar runs across the middle of the speaker, front to rear. At the back is a shorter version of the front.
It may be possible, that Wilson Audio, for instance, might have some sort of an interim item. It could look somewhere between, mind bogglingly wonderful, to "What in heavens name is that!" Naturally, it would cost four or five thousand dollars!
Finally, any ideas of possibilities please guys?
Bricks or breezeblock could work, I know. Must think WAF.
IMG_20220115_134713.jpg

Sarcastick

I would cut a 4x4 to my desired height for each leg and then drill a hole in the center of each piece for those silver feet to sit down into the wood. Probably finish them by sanding and staining and possibly add some carpet spikes to the bottoms depending on how stable they felt.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would cut a 4x4 to my desired height for each leg and then drill a hole in the center of each piece for those silver feet to sit down into the wood. Probably finish them by sanding and staining and possibly add some carpet spikes to the bottoms depending on how stable they felt.
Might adapt this idea and use some scrap Corian or cultered marble if a shop will sell you pieces. It would look more high end.

Are the legs threaded or smooth?

Or some acrylic blocks. 2x2x4 inch are available from amazon for $17 each. Might find a cheaper source.
If you wanted to be gauche, you could like put some LED lights in them or something.
51U2pUHJjaL._AC_.jpg

Or round acrylic leg risers.

Last edited:
OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Thank you all for your great and funny suggestions! The legs were a metre of threaded metal which I cut up. They do screw into the black frame.
I suppose my idea for a four inch thick slab of dilithium crystal could be an idea too far!
(Or possibly a question for the Star Trek forums.)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking mostly of extending the legs. But you could put something on the bar that holds the speaker.
This cultured marble side splash on two sides and a nice cabinet grade oak board on the other two sides would be easy to fit to the stand and your new speaker. While looking pretty good if you do it right. Finishes other than white are available.

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
1/2 inch Madjalapeno. A pipe could certainly be an idea.
Blemlein, That slab looks very nice.
I wonder if I also have consider acoustic qualities of the material? Certainly, the current Spendor stands seem to be a frame which is open, underneath the speakers. Perhaps Spendor would say that their "thin walled" design benefits from that.

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Sorry Blumlein, to answer your question, the legs are threaded.

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
1/2 inch Madjalapeno. A pipe could certainly be an idea.
I don't suppose you have some vernier calipers, or another way of getting an accurate measurement? Alternatively wrapping a thin piece of paper and marking the circumference, then marking that and dividing by pi.

3/8" iron pipe has an ID of approx 0.493"

1/2" iron pipe has an ID of approx 0.622"

or Schedule 80 1/2" iron pipe has an ID of approx 0.546"

Combine whichever works best with some pipe flanges and you can get a Tik-Tok worthy (if that's your thing) height increase. Could do slightly shorter and attach to some wood for WAF. All those fittings should be available from Home Depot or Lowes too.

Glen20

I would guess that Kef R3 are alot narrower (and shorter) than the speakers and stands you have. Your stands will stick out the side.

If you are spending kef r3 $$$ you probably want to optimise performance. So you will want to get the ideal tweeter hight for your seating position/ear hight

My advice is to keep your splendid stands with your Splendors. ( put them in a man or women cave or gift them to a young relative.

Cheap hight adjustable monitor stands can be bought for less than a vinyl album.
You can use these to set the ideal hight. ( I just used a long ruler and a hand mirror, while seated in listening chair)
You could then either cover the ugly pole with a painted drainage pipe or sell them and make nice ones with oak or drainage pipes.

It looks like the Cheap stands may not be infinitely adjustable( without drilling more holes) and are safety pin supported rather than cam lock supported with a safety pin.
CB31B197-9271-4B07-9C12-895CF4E73C04.jpeg

Kef R3 Cabinet Dimension (HxWxD) 422 x 199.6 x 312mm

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Mad,
Thankyou for your further thorough ideas. I do have to be careful about simply extending the three legs. Their threaded end into the black frame isn't that long and with a heavy speaker I don't want to end up with a Bambi on ice situation!
Glen,
Your independent stand idea is of course an ideal. However, the left hand speaker stand partly straddles the low stone fire place hearth. Moving the speaker to the right isn't possible. I sort of have to peer round it to see the telly as it is. Also, my beloved is already hemmed in by a sub just behing her, and one close to her feet as she reclines watching telly.
I accept that a smaller speaker on the existing stands won't be aesthetically great, but I could certainly live with it.
All of you, thank you again for the advice.

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
I suppose that I should add that within the last week my Missus came up with a great, economical idea to improve the telly watching, at least. She suggested I move my chair closer to the telly!
What a lateral thinker eh!

Ultrasonic

OP
D

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Ultra
believe me, doing nothing or the absolute minimum, cost wise, is absolutely the way to go in our household!

Top Bottom