• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker stand advice request

Mutsu

I'll be returning to using a pair of bookshelf speakers after 8 years of using floor standers and as such, will be needing a pair of stands to go with them.

I've already decided on the Atacama Moseco stands, which do not come with floor spike "shoes" to protect hard wood flooring, or the isolation pads that sit between the top plate and the speaker.

I'm interested to know if there is any measurable benefit to using either of these or if any of my alternative finds would be suitable?

My thought for floor protection is to either use small felt furniture protectors underneath the spikes, or use small rubber pads similar to what would be on the underside of a computer case. If vibration isolation from the floor is somehow beneficial, I would have assumed that using rubber would be a better choice here.

As for the the speaker sitting on the top plate, I have a concern about the speaker being knocked off the stand, so would prefer a solution that prevents this as much as possible. My thoughts for this were either using blu-tack, or some double sided adhesive gel pads.

Thanks

mansr

Major Contributor
As for the the speaker sitting on the top plate, I have a concern about the speaker being knocked off the stand, so would prefer a solution that prevents this as much as possible.
My speakers have threaded holes in the bottom, so I drilled matching holes in the plates and bolted them down.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
While they wouldn't solve the problem of being able to secure the speakers to the platform, I have just setup some Kanto Living SX26 speaker stands and I very much like them so far.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I stuck my speakers to the top plate with Blu Tack: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bostik-Blu...ild=1&keywords=blu+tack&qid=1632222959&sr=8-6, it holds things pretty securely, but be aware that it can leave an oily mark on some finishes.

The problem wit rubber pads is there's no means of leveling the stands, should your floor not be perfectly flat and level.

You can get threaded feet for stands: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292194092114?hash=item4408200452:g:wpsAAOSwdjdaKpPU, but you'll need to check the thread size, they are typically M8, but sometimes M6.

Alternatively, you can get spike feet/shoes: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180866485987?epid=1512055298&hash=item2a1c7b8ee3:g:oD4AAOSwg3FUf47B

KantoLiving

Audio Company
While they wouldn't solve the problem of being able to secure the speakers to the platform, I have just setup some Kanto Living SX26 speaker stands and I very much like them so far.

Those stands are brand-spanking new, happy to hear you like them! With the SX series we intentionally left the top-plates bare so that customers could adhere their speakers directly to the stand with blu-tack. Adhesive foam is included in the box as well.

OP
M

Mutsu

Belated updated: because of significant delays due to the Atacama stands being in back-order, I decided to get Solidsteel SS stands instead. They were more expensive, but glad I went with these for aesthetic reasons (understand they might not be to everyone's taste).

I filled them (although not fully at this stage) with lead shot, and use them with spikes on pads, and white-tac between the speaker and top plate.

Top Bottom