• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker spikes

Jbrunwa

Our new Revel F328Be speakers sound fantastic. My only complaint is the speaker spikes. Having to lay the 110 pound speakers on their side to adjust the spike length and repositioning over and over to try to eliminate the speaker wobble is a PITA. We have upgraded carpet padding and the provided spikes just don’t seem to make solid enough contact, or we are unable to get the lengths adjusted just right to make it rock solid. Does anyone know of third party spikes that can be adjusted while the speakers are standing, like with a thin wrench or something, and that are sturdy enough to handle the weight of these speakers yet sharp enough to bite through to the floor to create a rock solid foundation through carpet? TIA.

I shot a 3 second video showing the best that we have been able to get

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XY9KXMZsZTO-qFZNNWbhVEZsHswnWIHM/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Our new Revel F328Be speakers sound fantastic. My only complaint is the speaker spikes. Having to lay the 110 pound speakers on their side to adjust the spike length and repositioning over and over to try to eliminate the speaker wobble is a PITA. We have upgraded carpet padding and the provided spikes just don’t seem to make solid enough contact, or we are unable to get the lengths adjusted just right to make it rock solid. Does anyone know of third party spikes that can be adjusted while the speakers are standing, like with a thin wrench or something, and that are sturdy enough to handle the weight of these speakers yet sharp enough to bite through to the floor to create a rock solid foundation through carpet? TIA.

People will say you don't need spikes, but in principle they're the right approach. I'm surprised you can't adjust them in situ. The best hack for the too-thick carpet and pad is to use cross-head screws into the subfloor, and socket the spike tips into the X on the screw head. If you screw the spikes uniformly all the way into the speaker base, then all you need to do is level the four screws with a bubble level and you should be good to go.

OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

People will say you don't need spikes, but in principle they're the right approach. I'm surprised you can't adjust them in situ. The best hack for the too-thick carpet and pad is to use cross-head screws into the subfloor, and socket the spike tips into the X on the screw head. If you screw the spikes uniformly all the way into the speaker base, then all you need to do is level the four screws with a bubble level and you should be good to go.
Well one personcan tilt the speaker while the second person adjusts one or two spikes but one mishap would result in broken fingers :facepalm:. That’s a good idea to out screws into the subfloor. Thanks.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't need spikes, especially if the tweeter is already higher than your ears.

OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

You don't need spikes, especially if the tweeter is already higher than your ears.
We tried without spikes and think it’s not stable enough, concerned about them falling over if someone knocks into them.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. We aren’t expecting audio improvements, we just want a stable platform so they aren’t a potential hazard of being knocked over.

I understand. I replaced my spikes with 2" diameter feet. See this post Speakers - to couple or not to couple, that is the question | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

This was on a hard floor, I'm not sure how well flat feet would work on a thick carpet. You could maybe put the feet on spiked caster cups like these: 8 Pieces Carpet Protectors Spiked Caster Cups Clear Transparent Plastic Caster Cups Comfortable Touch Caster Cup Spiked Furniture Cup for Sofas, Tables, Chairs Other Furniture (Round Shape): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I think ultimately, you will need to pierce the carpet to to get the speaker truly stable. Perhaps you need longer spikes with knurled rings that allow you to adjust them more easily whilst the speaker is upright (one of the benefits of the 2" feet I put on my Regas).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Jbrunwa

Jbrunwa

They have four spikes.

Mine have three.

No wobble, no pain to adjust.
Agreed. It would have been much better to have had 3 spikes. More stable, much easier to pivot.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I shot a 3 second video showing the best that we have been able to get

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XY9KXMZsZTO-qFZNNWbhVEZsHswnWIHM/view?usp=drivesdk

Spikes makes nothing good for your speakers, sound or your floor. If anything it makes things worse.

Top Bottom