• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Spikes vs Isolation: An Investigation

OP
R

Robert R

Forum Donor
I was just joking (and I thought you were joking about the laser particle counter). Those electrostatic classifiers are for highly specialized research applications.

No I'm totally serious. It should arrive in a couple of days.

I suspect the differences in high frequencies to come from the exact location of objects in the room. Variations from 1 to 5 kHz might come from your own location. According to where you are standing in the room, the sound waves bouncing around your body might cause what we see here (granted that nothing else has moved in the room, open/close door etc.)

Upon reflection, I'm thinking this could very well be correct. While I was exacting in my measurements of the positioning of the speaker and the mic, and I sat in the same location for each measurement on the other side of the room, nonetheless, there were differences in my exact position, and of some of the stuff next to me on the couch.

And while I set the mic up at the listening position, perhaps that's really not ideal, and I'm thinking I should position the mic much closer to the speaker. Then I'll strip the room of all small items, and measure using a delay so I can leave the room.

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No I'm totally serious. It should arrive in a couple of days.
I apologize for being an idiot in assuming that you were not serious about buying a laser particle counter to verify the effectiveness of the face masks you and your wife are making. It is above and beyond what most, and especially me, are doing to help in the fight against this crisis.

I would also like to thank you and your wife providing the much needed help to our frontline medical and other workers who work tirelessly and face enormous personal risks to provide care to those who are stricken by this virus and to keep the rest of us safe.

OP
R

Robert R

Forum Donor
FWIW I found this white paper from Genesis on speaker coupling/decoupling.

Attachments

• Genesis_Loudspeaker_Coupling_Decoupling.pdf
    492.2 KB · Views: 1,636
Top Bottom