• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Size (Box Volume), Driver Size, and Weight VS Component Quality For Best Performance?

luft262

I've heard generalizations such as heavier speakers, speakers with larger woofers, and speakers with larger box/chassis volumes generally (emphasis on generally and not always) sound better. So where does that leave one when deciding between a speaker that is heavier, has larger woofers/drivers, and is larger in volume/size vs a more expensive speaker that is lighter, with smaller woofers, and has a smaller total volume but is presumably higher quality because of a higher cost?

For example, one could compare a cheaper, but all around larger tower speaker, such as the Klipsch RP 8000F with, higher priced offerings from companies like Focal, Revel, B&W, Triangle, etc. that are smaller in weight, volume, and driver size, but cost two to four times as much. Assuming we are comparing the same speaker type, ex bookshelf to bookshelf, sub to sub, or tower to tower, what is more important, size, weight, etc. or component quality (assumably determinable by cost).

That brings up a follow up question. Does cost necessarily determine component quality? Will a Revel that costs twice as much as a JBL or Klipsch necessarily have higher quality components?

Secondary follow up question: I've heard that 3 way speakers are better than two-way speakers because of the smooth crossover. I've also heard that at any given price point 2 way speakers will sound better due to less complexity and cost of the crossover. What are your thoughts on this? Have you had both types of speakers? Which generalities do you find to be most true?

Thank you for your help!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
System parameter overload error.

System suggests, get measurements to make parameter space smaller.

Edit says: Forgett generalsations they are not realy helpfull.

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
where does that leave one when deciding between a speaker that is heavier, has larger woofers/drivers, and is larger in volume/size vs a more expensive speaker that is lighter, with smaller woofers, and has a smaller total volume but is presumably higher quality because of a higher cost?
Well, the problem is you can't determine this without looking at the speaker in a holistic manner. The parts all work together. Better quality parts certainly make the rest of the design process easier, but if you stick awesome drivers in a crappy box and a poorly engineered crossover it doesn't matter how good they are.

Does cost necessarily determine component quality? Will a Revel that costs twice as much as a JBL or Klipsch necessarily have higher quality components?
Yes and no. Cost will get you one of two things:
1. A higher attention to detail in design and higher quality components.
2. A "name tax".

Secondary follow up question: I've heard that 3 way speakers are better than two-way speakers because of the smooth crossover. I've also heard that at any given price point 2 way speakers will sound better due to less complexity and cost of the crossover. What are your thoughts on this? Have you had both types of speakers? Which generalities do you find to be most true?
Generally speaking properly designed 3-ways have much lower IMD in the midrange because the woofer isn't asked to do 40 hz and 2000hz at the same time. The crossover however is more complex as it now has 3 drivers to deal with - and this is a situation where active crossovers really start to make a lot of sense. 2-ways can sound very good, however, and assuming proper design they can perform very well indeed.

Digital_Thor

I'm thinking exactly along these lines, when it comes to my future project with subwoofers. I already have 4 subwoofers with a 12" peerless in each - pulled in pairs with one big amplifier. Next move is to buy another amp - exactly the same type/size - and then add a DSP extra to be able to control each subwoofer absolutely freely.
This open up the possibility to change two of them to 15" instead, to both go deeper and with more ease. I don't want to play extremely loud - just music and a bit of movies, but I do love deep and articulate bass - which is why I want to go all the way with multiple sub principle. I'm also of the belief, that a bigger woofer moves air in a better manner, which I can't fully understand yet..... But I always find them more entertaining.

But.... Looking at Dayton Audio RS390 - which I heard several places at friends, with both the HO in 60 liters and HF in 100 liters. It still baffles me whether a HF version in the optimum 130 liters would play "better" quality bass than the HO version in 60 liters. Would any speaker driver always play better in a larger cabinet - maybe relieving the driver from stress from the enclosed air volume?

Top Bottom