• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Sensitivity: Advertised vs Measured

sonwowo

Andrew Jones Elac speaker is pretty good. I bought Dbr62 this time and I like it very much.

OP
M

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A stacked bar graph is for showing a total amount of something divided up into subgroups (demographics, expenses, etc.).

It isn't as easy to see the small differences, and I can't figure out how to display when the measured is above the spec (I can't stack the totals, only sums, so for the below graph the I had to use the difference in SPL as the value for one of them).
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 7.31.08 AM.png

I can do a 100% stack, but then you don't know the SPL values unless you hover over each individual one:
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 7.37.08 AM.png

Last edited:

Karu

Forum Donor
If there was/is a similar metric for speaker impedance, that would be great to see as well, giving a better sense of true complementing amplification needs. Edit: as in restorer-john’s earlier post

maty

Major Contributor
Klippel at 1 m?

Traditional measurements -> almost 85 dB.

Attachments

• KEF-Q100-frequency-bass-reflex-1250-700.png
    KEF-Q100-frequency-bass-reflex-1250-700.png
    354.4 KB · Views: 137
  • KEF-Q100-six-measurements-graphs-by-kimmosto.png
    KEF-Q100-six-measurements-graphs-by-kimmosto.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 129
OP
M

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If there was/is a similar metric for speaker impedance, that would be great to see as well, giving a better sense of true complementing amplification needs. Edit: as in restorer-john’s earlier post
Amir posts these as graphs, no data points, so I can’t analyze them.

Also, I don’t think there is any real standard for calculating impedance. I know Andrew Jones has stated he uses some body‘s recommendation of the minimum impedance being 80% the nominal, so you calculate the minimum, multiply by 1.25, then round to nearest integer.

Last edited:
OP
M

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It should be a scatter chart with error bars. Using a line chart is incorrect because the x axis consists of categories rather than a continuous range of values.
I get what you mean about it not being a continuous range, I chose not to do that as it isn’t as easy to see the differences compared to the line chart, though I could be swayed. Error bars are for +/- values, which isn’t what we have here.

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 7.04.48 AM.png

Last edited:

jeffbook

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like there aren't many issues here apart from Klipsch, poor Klipsch!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Explains why my Klipsch RP600M were disappointing with my 2A3 amplifier. Glad I sold them.

However, my Tektron 2A3 SET amp with 2.5wpc drove my Kipsch Forte II's in a large, high-ceiling living room cleanly to quite loud levels

ta240

Major Contributor
It should also be noted that achieviing higher linearity can result in a overall lower sensitivity. This can be a design choice in products such as Klipsch where a flatter response may be sacrificed to achieve a higher sensitivity rating

But if they sacrificed flatter response they didn't get higher sensitivity. I wonder what they got instead? Better crops, clear skin?

Audioagnostic

What would you suggest?

A Line suggests a linear relation between the points on the horizontal Axis. These are discrete events and therefore a line is a bit misleading.

You could plot the data on an X Y grid. X Axis measured sensitivity, Y Axis advertised sensitivity. This way most speakers will hover around the 45 degree angle and Klipsch is clearly identified as outlier. (Edit to make clear that you Will het a graph in which deviations from the line show misleading info)
There are many options though.
Your bar graph is also fine...

kevinh

I wish I had some good data on the various ESL's I've owned. Acoustats claimed like Soundlabs to be 88 db/watt/meter. In fact I'd say more like 78 or 80 is for real with a heavy lean toward 78 db.

Stereophile did measure 101 db/2.83v/meter which was lower than the claimed 105 db for the K-horns, but still awfully high.

Tough to do, Roger West said the SPL fell off by 1/r from a large format panel, rather that 1/r*r with a dynamic 'point source' speaker.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering all of the options, I like the bar + area best. Not the most elegant looking, but it shows everything in the data at first glance.

Top Bottom