• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Recommendations Please

Which would you recommend?

• Dutch & Dutch 8c Studio

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Genelec 8361A

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • Mesanovic RTM10

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking at state of the art speakers in the $10k per pair range for my main stereo system which is in a typically sized suburban American dining room which opens to the living room.

I know of nowhere I can demo these speakers hence the poll.

Thanks,
Martin

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd bet on the Dutch & Dutch. You can push them closer to the wall.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Your main $10k stereo system is in the dining room?

I voted for the Mesanovic because it should fill a room with more ambience with its widening dispersion up top, assuming you're using them for ambience in your living space. And because it hasn't been tested by Amir yet. :)

EDIT: If they're close to a side wall like ahofer indicates, then maybe Mesanovic wouldn't be the best.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The 8Cs are probably my choice if you're space limited and they're extremely forgiving of rooms because of their cardioid behavior. The Mesanovics may behave in an odd way w/r/t room modes though thanks to their side firing woofers (if it's anything like the Barefoots I had, things got weird but when I switched to the KH310s the problem went away).

I would add to this list the Neumann KH420s, though - I just have a thing for dome midranges.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve only heard the Genelec out of the three so I voted for it but I might opt for the D&D for other reasons.

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting that the early vote is the exact opposite order of @sweetchaos's score based recommendation:

Under US$12,500/pair:
RecommendationPSLFXAmplifiers
#1Mesanovic RTM10*7.623250 & 250 & 100
#2Dutch Dutch 8C (Erin)7.420500 & 250 & 250 (Erin=N/a)
#3GGNTKT M1*7.129210 & 70
WorthyGenelec 8361A (Amir)6.827500 & 150 & 150
WorthyNeumann KH 310A (Amir)6.230150 & 70 & 70
WorthyKef LS50 Wireless 2 (Erin)5.842250 & 100 (Erin)
WorthyKali IN-5 (Erin)
Kali IN-8v2 (Erin)
80 & 40 & 40 (Erin)
60 & 40 & 40 (Erin)
WorthyFocal Solo6 Be (Amir)5.143150 & 100
WorthyJBL 708P (Amir) (Erin)4.938250 & 250 (Erin)
WorthyAdam T5V (Amir)4.34850 & 20

I am currently leaning toward the Dutch & Dutch 8c.

Martin

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If it is a dining room that opens into a living room, is there a reason you want monitors and not towers? Are you listening in mid-field only? For a good sized room which opens into another room, I would think something like the F208 with a Hypex amp would be considered.

Those preference scores are nice, but if your room is anything like what I am imagining, it would be nice to have the additional woofer area and watts.

OP
Martin

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it is a dining room that opens into a living room, is there a reason you want monitors and not towers? Are you listening in mid-field only? For a good sized room which opens into another room, I would think something like the F208 with a Hypex amp would be considered.

Those preference scores are nice, but if your room is anything like what I am imagining, it would be nice to have the additional woofer area and watts.

I listen mid-field. My listening position is about 3m/9ft from the speakers. I currently have Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE speakers. I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary speakers at a very attractive price. I could stretch to $10k for a pair of speakers. I think big monitors may fit the space better. The Von Schweikerts like to be out in the room and I just don't have the space to give them the room they want. I like the fact that this group of monitors are more or less "full range" and offer room correction. I run room correction on my digital source but don't have that capability with my analog source.

Martin

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I listen mid-field. My listening position is about 3m/9ft from the speakers. I currently have Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE speakers. I have an opportunity to buy a pair of Von Schweikert VR5 Anniversary speakers at a very attractive price. I could stretch to $10k for a pair of speakers. I think big monitors may fit the space better. The Von Schweikerts like to be out in the room and I just don't have the space to give them the room they want. I like the fact that this group of monitors are more or less "full range" and offer room correction. I run room correction on my digital source but don't have that capability with my analog source.

Martin
Have a listen if you can: https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/atc-scm40-v2-tower-speakers
Add a minidsp if you want.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I made this exact same decision. I listened to the Dutch & Dutch next to the Mesanovics. But the room was so terrible, I couldn't really make an informed decision. I will say that the Dutch & Dutch could fill the room with bass with no problem and it was a huge room (warehouse, actually). The Mesanovic was the smallest of the 3 and I really wanted to get those. In the end, I opted for the Genelec 8361 without listening to them because of the GLM flexibility to adjust to my room (vs. Mesanovic) and because I thought Genelec would have better support and reliability, and would be easier to resell in the future. I didn't see any benefit to the extra cost of the Dutch & Dutch, and I was bothered by the fact that they still don't have the promised Room support. Having listened to them all, I think it comes down to these sorts of factors and not sound quality. They are all great speakers. It is more about the look, placement flexibility, warranty, cost, etc.

I will say that my wife hates the 8361s in terms of looks.

I will also add that I like the GGNTKT concept a lot, both the M1 and the M3. I am keeping an eye on those.

Top Bottom