• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Recommendations: <$1500 for 3.1 HT System

IAmNotADalek

I discovered this website a few days ago and have enjoyed reading reviews and posts from the "objectivist" audiophile perspective, as some members of this forum seemed to have termed it.

I wish to replace the speakers on my 3.1 home theater system. I'm content with my subwoofer, a HSU VTF-3. I'll be driving this system with a Marantz SR5010---I'll probably upgrade to a modern Denon next year once they fix the HDMI 2.1 switch problem.

The speakers and TV are located along the shorter wall of a 21 x 13 kitchen/dining/living room with 10ft ceilings.

After reading a review on this site, I lean towards picking up a pair of Klipsch RP8000fs, a matching 404c center, and running digital room correction.

Feel free to disabuse me of my opinion. Thanks in advance for providing "objective" recommendations.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Might also try posting these questions on the websites AVSforum and AVforum.

a2lowvw

I feel Klipsch is a love it or hate it sound. People will tell you to go listen and see what sounds best to you. Klipsch high tones can be tiring for some people. It's a little over budget but with the Kef Q series on sale you are close to getting a set of Q550 towers and a Q250 or Q650 center channel. I listened to the Q series but ultimately ended up spending more and bought R series stuff from Kef after listening to multiple different brands and configurations.

TimW

Major Contributor
Check out the Infinity RC263 review here. It is an objectively great speaker and so is the R162. You can see a collection of spinorama data here where the R263 looks decent as well if you're looking for a tower. These speakers are considered great value for their performance, especially when on sale on Harman's site.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Welcome to ASR! :D

You have a great sub. I have the HSU VTF-3 MK5 myself and love it. To improve your setup (flatten out the frequency response from seat to seat), strive to get a 2nd identical sub in the future. ;)

Before discovering ASR, I used to listen to the so called "audiophile" reviewers, and they all loved Klipsch RP-6000M.
Back then, I've never heard a person speak anything negative about them.
I remember going to a local store to check out the Klipsch on demo, and I absolutely hated the sound, so I didn't buy.
Of course, it's not until Amir measured them, that I understood why.

Don't believe popular opinion online, unless it's backed by measurements (frequency, directivity, and distortion)...that's what ASR is for.

My recommendation is to start looking at all the reviewed models that have the relaxed panther award (rating of 3 in the spreadsheet) or golfing/soccer panther award (rating of 4 in the spreadsheet).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...i_eE1JS-JQYSZy7kCQZMKtRnjTOn578fYZPJ/pubhtml#
Lots of great options based on your budget.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Here's all passive speakers (under US$1500) with rating of 3 (yellow) or 4 (green):
https://sites.google.com/view/speakerdata/speaker-selector
2020-11-11 16_09_57-Copy of Speaker Selector w_Filters - Google Sheets.png

Sorted by: Price Low-High.

Here's what I would get if I were in your shoes:
- Revel M105 as 1st option (with no much $ left for center), M16 as 2nd (which leaves you $ for a center)
- Elac DBR62 alternatively, if you can't get Revel speakers in your area.

Phantom center (using left-right speakers only) for your setup might work out okay, in which case you might not need a center channel. If you have an asymmetrical speaker placement, where one speaker is positioned much farther from the TV than another, then a center channel will help, while freeing up your left-right to create sound effects, as intended.

Last edited:

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Check out the Infinity RC263 review here. It is an objectively great speaker and so is the R162. You can see a collection of spinorama data here where the R263 looks decent as well if you're looking for a tower. These speakers are considered great value for their performance, especially when on sale on Harman's site.
RC263 has no match even when not on sale. I would pair with R253. Check Infinity web site daily for sales. When sale is posted snatch immediately. They will sell out quickly. No rhyme or reason regarding Infinity. You will hear rumours discontinued then will suddenly appear on website. You will not find better combination for price. I have these models. Revel speakers on a budget. I purchased on sale early this year.

Top Bottom