• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker recommendation?

paulraphael

Hi, I'm looking for a replacement for a pair of KRK Rokit 8" active monitors. Hoping for something with comparable performance, but ideally smaller and more reliable.

These are my girlfriend's speakers. She's a musician, and bought them based purely on listening to a bunch of stuff at the store. They probably have a bit of an upper bass bump that she likes. But I'd be comfortable setting up some kind of eq to dial in the FR.

Nowadays we use the speakers mostly for casual music listening and watching Netflix, so we don't have need for studio-level accuracy. We want to replace because they keep breaking. Specifically, the circuit board on one of them has developed a defect and makes random ugly noise. The internet says this is a common failure. I found a used amp module for it online and replaced it, but less than 6 months later a similar problem appeared in the new module.

We'd also love to find something that doesn't look like an enormous plastic yellow lizard eye.

I've read a bunch of reviews here, and was attracted to the Adam T5V and a couple of similar 5" monitors. But I'm wondering how these will do, considering that we're not using them for actual near-field use. The speakers will be in our pandemic-special living room / dining room / her office / my office, and we'll mostly be 5 to 10 feet from the speakers when listening. We don't listen loud, but would love to have reasonable bass response without the complications of a sub. If we can keep it under $500 a pair that would be ideal. But you could convince us to negotiate.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much for all the hard work and great insights on this site.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Hi, welcome to ASR!

I used MZKM's spreadsheet to help you narrow down the options:
https://sites.google.com/view/speaker-headphone-data/speakers/speaker-selector

I set:
1. below $500
2. Amir's rating of 3 (meaning relaxed panther award) or 4 (meaning golfing/soccer panther)
3. active, not passive, since you're leaning towards actives anyway
4. included active with DAC, just in case you want to look at that
1609455042970.png

Based on that, you have some awesome recommendations....So you can pick based on whatever criteria is important to you.

That said, there's only 1 speaker with a rating of 4 (meaning golfing/soccer panther)...that's the Adam T5V.
As you've chosen.
If you can, try to get it EQ'd, since the default frequency response is slightly boosted in the treble:
1609455221445.png

I would try to set them up with a computer/laptop just to try the PEQ filters first.
Try Maiky76 filters here.
or Amir's posted PEQ filter (high shelf of 5500hz, with -3.0dB gain, and Q 1.0)
Whichever.

Last point, MZKM's spreadsheet lists retail MSRP prices, so while he says these are $500/pair, in reality they are $400/pair, which leaves you $100 for a DAC with a remote, to be used in a mid-field to far-field setup.
I suggest Topping E30 (DAC with a remote), which goes for US$130 right now.

Top Bottom