• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker recommendation for my use case?

jtothea

I like how many in this forum take a scientific view toward speaker assessment. I’ve been reading a ton but it’s hard to get to a bottom line based on my specific circumstances, hence this post.

What top few speaker brands/models would you recommend based on the following requirements?

-Music only
-Floorstanding
-Fill large room with sound (6,000 cu ft)
-$6,000 or less per pair
-Are not picky about placement in the room
-Have a wide soundstage (I’ll move about in the room).
-I like detailed highs (does that mean I like brighter speakers?) and great sounding voices.
-I plan to get separate subs.

Thanks!

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Welcome to ASR.

Towers < US$5,500/pair:
NamePSPSwSubLFX
Revel F208 (Amir)6.67.726
Revel F2066.4*8.1*36*
Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary (Erin) (RL)6.07.836
Kef R5 (Erin) (RL)5.97.533
Revel F35 (Amir)5.77.639
Arendal Sound 1961 Tower (Erin) (RL)5.17.551
JBL 4309 (Amir)3.75.741
Kef R7******
Kef R11******
Revel F36******
Philharmonic BMR Tower (AH)******

Where:
PSPreference Score (with no subwoofer added). Value can be negative (for really badly designed speakers) and goes up to a 10 (theoretical limit). Higher is better.
PSwSubPreference Score (with theoretically-perfectly-integrated subwoofer added). Value can be negative (for really badly designed speakers) and goes up to a 10 (theoretical limit). Higher is better.
LFXLow Frequency Extension (in hz). This is the bass output at -6db point. This was computed, not estimated. Lower is better.

From my guide.

OP
J

jtothea

Thanks! That’s helpful. I added the 2 key requirements below to my post. Do any of those speakers you listed jump out as being good for these needs?

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Horizontal directivity is (-X degrees from on-axis, +X degrees from on-axis) between 1kHz and 10kHz. Angle computed for +/-6dB.

Revel F208: -80, +70
Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary: -70, +60
Kef R5: -50, +40
Revel F35: -70, +60
Arendal Sound 1961 Tower: -40, +50
JBL 4309: -50, +50

BMR monitor (bookshelf, but similar design to towers): -80, +80

To get the widest soundstage, aka widest horizontal directivity, you're looking at BMR tower as #1 pick.
2nd is Revel F208.

Those would probably be my 2 picks for your use case, since Arendal, Kef, and JBL speakers don't meet that criteria...in other words, they have narrower horizontal directivity.
Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary if you like that traditional speaker look, so that's my 3rd pick.

Battlebeast

I like how many in this forum take a scientific view toward speaker assessment. I’ve been reading a ton but it’s hard to get to a bottom line based on my specific circumstances, hence this post.

What top few speaker brands/models would you recommend based on the following requirements?

-Music only
-Floorstanding
-Fill large room with sound (6,000 cu ft)
-$6,000 or less per pair
-I like detailed highs (does that mean I like brighter speakers?) and great sounding voices.
-I plan to get separate subs.

Thanks!
Klipsch RF7III. Don't worry too much about wide dispersion in a large room as the farther you are from the speakers the wider the dispersion becomes. Kef R11 would be a decent choice as they'll likely have more bass than the revels mentioned.
But, as always it's best to demo several models and choose what you like best.

Wseaton

OHM Walsh. Massive Soundstage and they like walls.

BMRs will beat them on detail but lose on Soundstage.

chips666

Enjoy...

Top Bottom