• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker positioning

xarkkon

The missus requires me to place my Buchardt S400s on the TV console, just half a foot away from the wall. Thankfully, this isn't my main system, but I'm still not too pleased with the situation and what this poor positioning is doing to my sound.

Is there anything (apart from moving the speakers) that I can do to mitigate this? Would diffusers or absorbers work even with the small space? Thanks!

Midwest Blade

In all seriousness, best thing is to play around, does the console provide a solid base or will it resonate? Lucky you to have S400's in the second system.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get your wife on the sofa, eyes closed for a few minutes.

Set a playlist of her favorite songs and push Play.

Move the speakers around until they reach the position where your wife enjoys her music the most.

Tell her to open her eyes. She's probably going to accept to leave them in that position.

OP
xarkkon

xarkkon

In all seriousness, best thing is to play around, does the console provide a solid base or will it resonate? Lucky you to have S400's in the second system.
Get your wife on the sofa, eyes closed for a few minutes.

Set a playlist of her favorite songs and push Play.

Move the speakers around until they reach the position where your wife enjoys her music the most.

Tell her to open her eyes. She's probably going to accept to leave them in that position.

thanks all! :) no luck moving it for sure. she recognises that the sound is much better further out, but she doesn't care that much for it. doesn't help that we have a toddler who'll definitely see speaker stands as tackling practice.

the console WAS resonating but i've just added some isoacoustic stands. that's been helping somewhat :)

Midwest Blade

Probably not much else to do then until the little one grows up a bit, hoepfully you will then be able to fit in a pair of proper stands.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Move them out just for listening, store elsewhere when not in use.

And/or use DSP/EQ to correct for problems.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Is there anything (apart from moving the speakers) that I can do to mitigate this? Would diffusers or absorbers work even with the small space? Thanks!

Diffusers/absorbers wouldn't solve potential LF non-linearity issue this might create but room EQ would.

Daverz

Major Contributor
In his wife's defense, he says he already has a main system. She may be wondering why he needs to take over more space in the home for audiophile gear.

Krunok

Major Contributor
In his wife's defense, he says he already has a main system. She may be wondering why he needs to take over more space in the home for audiophile gear.

Traitor! We are supposed to support him, not his wife! :D

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The missus requires me to place my Buchardt S400s on the TV console, just half a foot away from the wall. Thankfully, this isn't my main system, but I'm still not too pleased with the situation and what this poor positioning is doing to my sound.

What is the recommendation for placement? There are speakers that are designed to be near-wall, and I have built my own in to be suited for near-wall placement. Both listening and measurements should be helpful to find the optimal position and what the effects are by placing near wall. When that is known, there is perhaps a possibility to do something about it.

Olli

Forum Donor
REQ. REW, Dirac, Audiolense, Acourate...

OP
xarkkon

xarkkon

Diffusers/absorbers wouldn't solve potential LF non-linearity issue this might create but room EQ would.
Noob question. What's LF non-linearity?

Traitor! We are supposed to support him, not his wife! :D
Appreciate this support! BOOOO TO ACTUALLY PRACTICAL FOR OTHERS SPEAKER PLACEMENTS!

What is the recommendation for placement? There are speakers that are designed to be near-wall, and I have built my own in to be suited for near-wall placement. Both listening and measurements should be helpful to find the optimal position and what the effects are by placing near wall. When that is known, there is perhaps a possibility to do something about it.

Most will say at least 3 feet. I've had some luck with 2 feet onwards

Move them out just for listening, store elsewhere when not in use.

And/or use DSP/EQ to correct for problems.
REQ. REW, Dirac, Audiolense, Acourate...

using Sonos Amp given it's the secondary system hooked up to the telly. There's some barebones EQ function, and trueplay doesn't work on this product. long run, i probably will find a way to upgrade to an AV receiver and a minidsp

Krunok

Major Contributor
Noob question. What's LF non-linearity?

Ideal speaker response should be close to horizontal (linear) line. That means that all frequencies are played at the same level. :)

LF=low frequency
LF usually means 20Hz-100Hz, but can also mean 20Hz-300Hz or so.

OP
xarkkon

xarkkon

ah, got it. thanks for the ELI5! you definitely explain it much better than a lot of the other videos I've seen.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most will say at least 3 feet. I've had some luck with 2 feet onwards

I was more thinking of what the manufacturer recommends. I have my speakers as close to the wall as possible with a damping panel behind (from Sounds of Science). The response is good between approx 100 Hz to 20 kHz. Below 100 Hz there are better ways to adjust (parametric EQ).

OP
xarkkon

xarkkon

ah, i misunderstood. damping panel, will check that out. thanks!

Top Bottom