• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker position simulator?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As there is so many speaker measurements results presented here, is there a simulator using the data for different speaker placement and room size? Could be useful. I was not thinking of REW but something doing this directly from the data.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not an acoustician and have no experience with any acoustics simulation software (including the two I mention below).

I haven't come across any "simple easy to use" software, but there is an open source sound modelling software called I-Simpa. A commercial software that seems to be quite widely used is EASE.

OP
Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does any software use spinorama data to do the simulation?

wwenze

Major Contributor
Isn't spinorama predicted room response itself a predicted response

Their people probably know what happens in different rooms

OP
Thomas_A

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't spinorama predicted room response itself a predicted response

Their people probably know what happens in different rooms

Yes, it does present a room curve based on different percentage of direct, reflected sound and power. What I am looking for is a combination of speaker data + room simulator (e.g that in REW).

Bamboszek

As far I remember from university, acoustic simulations are still far from perfect. They are only accurate for stochastic and geometric model. Frequencies under Schroeder Frequency, which includes wave theory model and X area are not considered. That means in typical, small domestic rooms (0.8-1.2s reverberation time and 20-30 m^2 area) everything under 200 - 400 Hz is not really modeled.

AFMG EASE and Odeon are two main choices. This software is really expensive - thousands of euros for one license. Definitely not accessible for hobbyists.

I heard there are some simulators only for bass frequencies based at wave theory but I don't have any experience with it.

Some speaker manufacturers, often free of charge offers their own simulation software. This is however usually targeted for line arrays or other professional applications and don't include other manufacturers speaker models.

All in all I don't think it is really possible for hobbyist to simulate acoustics and speakers in domestic applications.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I am not an acoustician and have no experience with any acoustics simulation software (including the two I mention below).

I haven't come across any "simple easy to use" software, but there is an open source sound modelling software called I-Simpa. A commercial software that seems to be quite widely used is EASE.
I tried I-Simpa, but the interface was a bit too confusing for me. These things are not designed to be easy to use, I even had trouble even creating a space and a sound source.

Valhalla

As far I remember from university, acoustic simulations are still far from perfect. They are only accurate for stochastic and geometric model. Frequencies under Schroeder Frequency, which includes wave theory model and X area are not considered. That means in typical, small domestic rooms (0.8-1.2s reverberation time and 20-30 m^2 area) everything under 200 - 400 Hz is not really modeled.

AFMG EASE and Odeon are two main choices. This software is really expensive - thousands of euros for one license. Definitely not accessible for hobbyists.

I heard there are some simulators only for bass frequencies based at wave theory but I don't have any experience with it.

Some speaker manufacturers, often free of charge offers their own simulation software. This is however usually targeted for line arrays or other professional applications and don't include other manufacturers speaker models.

All in all I don't think it is really possible for hobbyist to simulate acoustics and speakers in domestic applications.

E.A.S.E AFMG is very useful but only if you have a 3D directivity index of your loudspeaker (CLF Balloon) otherwise the simulation will not be that accurate to investigate how the sound propagates in room accordingly.

Top Bottom