• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker popping sound at high volume

TwoEyedJack

Hello, a pair of infinity kappa-5 speakers I own, make a loud popping (sounds like those firecracker snaps) sound when played in high levels, especially if there is a lot of bass. At first I thought it was the amp, but I've tested it with a number of amps and this was repeated with all of them. I am hardly putting 20-30 watts in them when this happens, it doesn't sound like clipping or distortion and the cone movement looks fine. The popping is not happening on a specific interval, they sound sporadic. The xover was recapped 2 years ago from a service shop and it looks ok. What could be the cause of this ?

screenshot_20220913-172039-jpg.1090437

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It could be caused by several things. First frequency sweep the speakers with this. When frequency sweeping the high frequency turn the volume down so you don't overload the tweeters. The rest is pretty much common sense. This test should show if there is a buzz, rattle, snap crackle and pop in the speaker somewhere.

OP
T

TwoEyedJack

It could be caused by several things. First frequency sweep the speakers with this. When frequency sweeping the high frequency turn the volume down so you don't overload the tweeters. The rest is pretty much common sense. This test should show if there is a buzz, rattle, snap crackle and pop in the speaker somewhere.
There is a "snap crackle" continuous pop coming from one speaker at around 65-75hz. The other speaker does it to but on a higher volume. It sounds just like when I am. Playing music that hits those low notes, it just is more continuous. This only happens on relatively high volume on low/mid listening volumes it sounds perfectly normal. The woofers have been refoamed.

OP
T

TwoEyedJack

Then it sounds like you need speakers that move more air and go louder.
Well, I want to know what is wrong with these ones. I am Not exceeding their max power so there must be another reason.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps the voice coils weren't properly re-centered when they were refoamed.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When driving woofs to their max excursion the coils can strike the magnet or steel backing and they make a very annoying and very serious sounding crackle and snap sound. It is possible that one coil is misaligned as you say.

OP
T

TwoEyedJack

Indeed, if I push the woofer cones with my hand I can feel and hear them scratching inside. Can the spider be failing? I suppose refoamig is the only way to fix them.

Zek

Major Contributor
if I push the woofer cones with my hand I can feel and hear them scratching inside.
Perhaps the coil in the speaker has unwound due to excessive overheating (too much power in some peaks).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I push the woofer cones with my hand I can feel and hear them scratching inside. Can the spider be failing?
The entire assembly if offset would cause the voice coil former to strike metal, get scratched, bend or crack. You maybe have a bent former that is tight fitting in the voice coil gap.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I see, didn't know that someone could mess a refoam job this much.
Yes, you need a spacer inserted between the voice coil and pole piece as the foam is gluing, to keep everything aligned. Otherwise it's hit or miss.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Hello, a pair of infinity kappa-5 speakers I own, make a loud popping ... I am hardly putting 20-30 watts in them ...

Is it a reflexed box (with port)? Then the most demanding frequency ranges are below tuning @35..60Hz (my guess: 55Hz) and slightly above. Below: mechanical short circuit, destructive; above: max. regular excursion of the cone. The cone may reach max excursion with as little as 5 watts, even if reflexed, if the program is bass heavy, as modern pop music nearly always is. The movement is quite fast at 70Hz, You won't see the occasional excess with the naked eye.

The max. excursion may further be limited by a gone-wrong refoaming, a loose wire, some debris in the motor, whatever. It could otherwise be some loose parts inside the box, left after refurbishing the x/o.

Top Bottom