• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker pop question

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Well, two questions:

I am lucky in that all the new Hypex NCxxxMP modules I have received for my builds are the newest Rev4 that fixes the speaker pop issues when turning off the modules as has been reported in past threads/posts.

My personal builds before I started making my amps are using older Rev3 NCxxxMP modules. The previous way I had them wired was for each module to have a 12v relay controlling mains power (one module would power on, triggering the relay for the next module, so forth). With this setup I never noticed a speaker pop when powering down.

I just upgraded the chassis and setup of these modules to reflect the designs I am offering others, which means within a chassis all modules are in standby and when a 12v trigger signal is received they all drop out of standby together through a single relay (jumping the PS Enable pins). This is now making the speaker pop an issue, as a very loud (I'd say easily 65dB) pop occurs right at shutoff.

However, if I switch things around so that the mains power is controlled through a single 12v relay (so that a trigger signal applies mains power to all modules at once), the pop still occurs but at a much lower volume...I'd say barely above room ambient so about 40-45dB max.

1) Is the softer pop level (the one barely louder than floor noise) still harmful for my speakers in the long term or is it acceptable?
2) Why would the pop (which I assume are the capacitors discharging from the amp modules) be lesser when disconnecting the mains vs. dropping the speaker into standby?

Thanks!

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Bumping this.

Top Bottom