• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker placement / treatment in half-cube room with tilted ceiling

storing

Forum Donor
I'm looking on some input preferrably from people who have experience which such shape. I'll measure once I dive in, but before that I'm wondering if there are some things which are almost certainly a bad idea. Like, placing speakers along wall A which makes everything pretty asymetric.

Room is currently empty and pretty much anything goes, it would be convenient if a desk can be placed in it though. It's going to give a second life to some vintage gear I have lying around, speakers being Celestion Ditton 66 i.e. big floorstanders, probably not ideal, but worth a try. These are about 1m high so along wall B they'd be pretty far in the room already, perhaps too much so.

Hardwood floor, wall A is exposed old brick (should diffuse a bit), wall C is plaster on same brick, rest is gipsum board (Fermacell). The 'roof window' cavity is because of about 50cm insulation. Would be nice to sit there, but I have a feeling that's going to be a no-go :D Top image is floor, bottom is side view.

Room.PNG

OP
S

storing

Forum Donor
This is your only option. Anything else would create major issues.
Thanks. What would be the main problem with reversing that and putting the speakers along wall B at about the same distance?

flipflop

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks. What would be the main problem with reversing that and putting the speakers along wall B at about the same distance?
Red: If you kept the same 60 cm distance from the speakers to wall B (as with wall D), the sloping ceiling would be too close to the speakers and create an unpredictable and undesirable SBIR.
Blue: If you were able to move them a further 40 cm (1m total) away from wall B, there shouldn't be any problems. I overlooked this option. Sorry about that.
Room2.PNG

Top Bottom