• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker placement in a weird room

Mowz

How would you set up your stereo floor standers here? This is the weird room. I have Kef R11s and 2-3 SVS SB-3000s and I am only seeking a one-person listening position. I can keep one door permanently closed but prefer both open.

The drawing is not to scale, particularly on the bottom left, but the measurements are accurate. The only walls that are actually parallel are the left and right walls.

My thought is they would be best positioned near the left wall pointing toward the right wall.

This is my office so there is a desk and a few tables but I can position them secondarily to the speakers. Any thoughts?

Edited to include this bit from below: I didn't mention but I do have several Acoustimac acoustic panels - 4 4x2x2, 1 3x4x2, and a few rockwoll 'bass traps" a 2x2x4, 2x2x6, and 2 2x4x6 so if anyone has any insight about placement, I'm all ears

room dimensions.jpg

Last edited:
OP
M

Mowz

Thanks @Doodski and @Curvature these were the two options I was considering. I couldn't find any literature the effect of having them on them on the diagonal window but I think it would look good. I'll try both.

Curvature

Major Contributor
Thanks @Doodski and @Curvature these were the two options I was considering. I couldn't find any literature the effect of having them on them on the diagonal window but I think it would look good. I'll try both.
Look up Toole's book if you like.

In short, sidewall reflections will take a longer path to the listening position. Depending on your speakers, you may like the effect a lot.

OP
M

Mowz

Look up Toole's book if you like.

In short, sidewall reflections will take a longer path to the listening position. Depending on your speakers, you may like the effect a lot.
I have read some of his stuff and watched some talks but I did not think about the book. You're right, I'll get that, thanks.

I didn't mention but I do have several Acoustimac acoustic panels - 4 4x2x2, 1 3x4x2, and a few rockwoll 'bass traps" a 2x2x4, 2x2x6, and 2 2x4x6 so if anyone has any insight about placement, I'm all ears. - I am also editing the original post to include this bit.

I am also addicted to reading these forums now! I love your nerd fights. Don't tell my friends.

Curvature

Major Contributor
I have read some of his stuff and watched some talks but I did not think about the book. You're right, I'll get that, thanks.

I didn't mention but I do have several Acoustimac acoustic panels - 4 4x2x2, 1 3x4x2, and a few rockwoll 'bass traps" a 2x2x4, 2x2x6, and 2 2x4x6 so if anyone has any insight about placement, I'm all ears. - I am also editing the original post to include this bit.

I am also addicted to reading these forums now! I love your nerd fights. Don't tell my friends.
They are lovely deathmatches.

Some decent discussion in this thread I made may help you with the panels: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/quest-for-real-bass-traps.37170/

Sokel

Master Contributor
I have a strange room too,no parallels except for floor and ceiling.
With the help of pro's the side with the less compromises was the longest dimension.
Give it a try and see.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't mention but I do have several Acoustimac acoustic panels - 4 4x2x2, 1 3x4x2, and a few rockwoll 'bass traps" a 2x2x4, 2x2x6, and 2 2x4x6 so if anyone has any insight about placement, I'm all ears.
The speaker placement needs to be determined before placing the panels and traps.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Try different alternatives. Get out your microphone and REW then measure. Remember, peaks are easy to get rid of, dips are not.
This is the best answer, or at least the one that aligns best with my experiences. If you have more than one option to place speakers that you are okay with, absolutey try them all and measure them and use the measurements combined with your ears to drive your choice.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Here's another weird room ready to become a play room for grown-ups.
Where you would place a stereo setup?

room.PNG

kongwee

Major Contributor
This is how I do as an audiophile. Triangle and off wall for stereo. Surround, center and sub will place according as much as the Dolby recommended.
Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 12.24.04 PM.png

OP
M

Mowz

This is how I do as an audiophile. Triangle and off wall for stereo. Surround, center and sub will place according as much as the Dolby recommended.View attachment 240670
This is essentially what I have done but it will be weeks before I can place and repeatedly test. Thanks.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Here's another weird room ready to become a play room for grown-ups.
Where you would place a stereo setup?

View attachment 240415
This is how I will setup as I don't need to fill up to the whole room. It is a really big room for me. Triangle, side wall far away, behind wall angled behind sweet spot.
room.jpg

Sokel

Master Contributor
This is how I will setup as I don't need to fill up to the whole room. It is a really big room for me. Triangle, side wall far away, behind wall angled behind sweet spot. View attachment 240829
Measurements indicate that this is the best spot,either way,only slightly better on the opposite direction.
Good advice,thank you!

ethernode

Hello everyone; i'm trying to participate to the weird room contest ;)

We are planning to extend our living room, and i have do decide where to place speakers (because of in-wall speaker cabling decisions). My system is LS50 (1st gen) high passed (80-120 Hz) + 1x SVS SB1000 sub.

We don't really know where we'll place the dining table or the couch yet (they will probably move switch positions every few months or so ... at least for the first years i guess), and we like to listen to music pretty much all the time (including at the table), so i'd prefer it if the speakers target both areas. Also, i'd prefer it if i could look out the window when listening to music instead of a wall (that has no window). But these are practical/comfort considerations that are not considering audio quality.

The room will be 8x6m, and there will be a wooden floor. Ceiling is at 2,55m.

I've tried to list every placement that allows to fit 3 meters wide spread speakers. Note that the red areas are "forbidden" (stove).

I'm desperate to find positions that are symmetrical, there are doors everywhere, large windows... I even considered placing the LS50 horizontally above the window (position D), but i guess that's complete nonsense... Is it not (what would happen with ceiling reflections) ?

Obviously i cannot measure until the actual thing exists (it's the right section) ... And i must decide where to wire... Soon o_O

Please advise which positions you think i should "shortlist" (and plan cabling for), blacklist, or even suggest others...

Thanks !

1677277919574.png

Attachments

• Capture d’écran du 2023-02-24 23-13-42.png
    Capture d’écran du 2023-02-24 23-13-42.png
    529.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Top Bottom