• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Placement...Help!

MostrotheLancia

I recently moved to a new condo here in the land of cheesesteaks, and I'm trying to figure out the best placement for my system; I only use it for music. Here is what I have in terms of equipment:

Marantz SR5012 AV receiver
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC turntable
Nakamichi BX150 Cassette player/recorder

2 Revel 106 speakers and stands
2 Martin-Logan XT35 speakers and stands
2 Mirage Omnisat V2 speakers and stands

I'll be getting a subwoofer in the near future; not sure which yet...any suggestions?

I also have a Sony 55" tv which is temporarily on a stand in front of the fireplace.

I have approximately 500 LPs, which is my main music listening along with my premium Spotify account.
I used to have a larger system (Kef IQ system) when living in my house, but I've since moved to apartments, and now this condo, which is 1025 sq ft.

Below is a rough floor plan (more or less to scale) of my living room, and the current layout of the furniture. The media cabinet is where the AV receiver, turntable, and Nakamichi reside; nothing is hooked up yet, and everything is movable.
I am at a loss at this point in terms of setup and speaker placement. The Revels and Martin-Logans will definitely be used; the Omnisats, not 100% sure.
Any help and advice are much appreciated.
Serge
Floor Plan 2.jpg

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
If all of that coat closet wall needs to be accessible, I think your best (stereo) shot would be to move the record cabinet and place all media and connections along that wall, in from the windows. Don't know how to get 4 speaker setup there because of the cabling relative the the entry door and the kitchen door. It's definitely a tough room to get 4 speakers into...

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I'm going to propose a solution I think will work for you. First, make sure there are curtains over those windows. This helps with reflection. Now, on either side of your media cabinet, place the ML's and the Revel's perpendicular ie, at a 90 deg. angle, next to each other, and facing your listening chair. Move that sofa out toward the record cabinet a little bit. Your subwoofer can be placed between the bookcase and the wall.

This idea plays off the design of Dr Amar Bose when he designed the 901's By not having the speakers directly pointed at you, you're able to get a more airy soundstage, while sacrificing a little imaging. The benefit of this solution is that u don't have to move anything and still have good sound.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Turn the sofa to face the hearth, media cab under the liv/din window and WiFi surround speakers

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Leave it on Revel's alone and put them on the side where dining table is (a little bit more out if possible) supposing sofa is the listening position. Get a sield sub and mont it under the table. At least that's what I would try first and keep the functionality of the space as it is but do play with it.

Top Bottom