• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker placement help

Kgeers247

I have a unique living room set up. The entrance is wide open next to where my tv is. I plan on having a left and right floor speaker with the Dolby atmos speakers on top (where the red marks on the picture are). In addition I will have a center speaker below the tv.. two rear speakers on the book shelf facing the couch.. and two atmos ceiling speakers above the couch. Two 10” subs on the floor. My main concern is that the floor speakers will be too far apart. My couch is very wide and the ends of the couch would still be in range within the front speakers. Any input would be awesome!
253B5995-7DA0-4D7A-82C9-5B40C9EBEFA5.jpeg

D

Deleted member 28849

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that your floor speakers will be in range of the couch?

What you are trying to do with a multi-channel setup is create a seamless soundstage. Masking any perceived holes in the soundstage can be achieved with good speaker placement, like your bookshelves could be placed were you perceive a break in the soundstage. Also a good wide center channel speaker will help mask perceived holes between loudspeakers & center channel. How wide you need to place your floorstanders will depend on being able to create the seemless soundstage. If you can go wide than do it, it not then you have to bring the speakers closer together to keep the seemless soundstage intact.

OP
K

Kgeers247

I mean, the floor/tower speakers will still be in front of the couch, as it’s a very wide couch. But the will be in front of both ends of the couch. I may need to upgrade to a wider center channel

D

Deleted member 28849

Remember that your center channel should be adjustable with your AVR. Another thing you can try is turning the center channel off. Depending on your floorstander's dispersion pattern that might work better. Like my floorstanders have a wide dispersion pattern so I can place them further apart. Another thing, and I don't know why, having the center channel On, was somehow restricting the power to the floorstanders, so they did not perform their optimal best until I took the center channel out. So you have to experiment a little to see what works.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
This situation may require some radical measures... definitely a center speaker under the TV, and for L / R I may be looking at some CBTs (narrow dispersion crossed in front may not be cutting it here, you may need something that's not a point source to keep levels at least somewhat even).

Top Bottom