• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker placement and subwoofer integration for a small living room using MiniDSP SHD + REW

OP
xovaan

xovaan

Ahhh for sure! It's gotta be insanely late there haha. You have no idea how appreciative I am for the help man!

Update: using your Dirac target and this sounds incredible hahaha

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahhh for sure! It's gotta be insanely late there haha. You have no idea how appreciative I am for the help man!

Update: using your Dirac target and this sounds incredible hahaha

Do you feel like it’s an improvement from when the ports were open?

OP
xovaan

xovaan

Yeah, without question— your Dirac target helped make the music have more life / physical presence and the extra tweaks like the vent sealing and baffle calculations that you recommended really brought it all together. :)

With my other attempts, I’d mute the speakers to hear the subs and there wasn’t much there— it was subtle but thin and didn’t really feel like it was taking the role of the lower end of the music, if that makes sense. It was nice to have but my speakers still took the show

Now I have to figure out how to make a nice looking fill for these ports haha. There’s a guy in the city over that has a CNC shop that would be stoked to machine something for it :D

And are you ever in the US? I feel I owe you a dinner at the very least!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, without question— your Dirac target helped make the music have more life / physical presence and the extra tweaks like the vent sealing and baffle calculations that you recommended really brought it all together. :)

With my other attempts, I’d mute the speakers to hear the subs and there wasn’t much there— it was subtle but thin and didn’t really feel like it was taking the role of the lower end of the music, if that makes sense. It was nice to have but my speakers still took the show

Now I have to figure out how to make a nice looking fill for these ports haha. There’s a guy in the city over that has a CNC shop that would be stoked to machine something for it :D

And are you ever in the US? I feel I owe you a dinner at the very least!
Sounds great!

Remember you can always change the position of the subwoofers without changing anything about the crossover or the gain. These settings are final and optimal. You only need to do the Dirac stuff all over (delays and calibration).

I would recommend to follow the advice of doctor Toole’s book to get rid of the bass suck out. If you could think of a way to get one subwoofer to be at exactly 25% X and 25% Z and the other to be 75% X and 75% Z it would really do wonders since kick drums are exactly in that 50-80 Hz region.

Your room almost have a tube like dimensions (one dimension being more than double one of the other two dimensions) which is really bad for audio but I really think you took a lot of steps to mitigate that with all the treatments and the 38% position thing. However EQ can’t really help with a -20 dB suckout at 60Hz and neither can traditional room treatment. So maybe sturdy stands for the subwoofers first, then maybe if that doesn’t work you can get a bunch of these ‘tuned’ niche bass traps for specific frequency ranges.

OP
xovaan

xovaan

Gonna be looking into stands today-- when you say 25%, if my ceiling is 102 inches high and the 25% point is 25.5 inches, does this mean that the center of my subwoofer's driver measures 25.5 inches from the floor?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gonna be looking into stands today-- when you say 25%, if my ceiling is 102 inches high and the 25% point is 25.5 inches, does this mean that the center of my subwoofer's driver measures 25.5 inches from the floor?

yep. before you fabricate stands i would experiment first. this is all theortical you know. ;)

OP
xovaan

xovaan

Haha noted-- I'm gonna look into some things I can experiment with today :D

hemiutut

Here's the measurements for left and right channels using your matrix after timing alignment. It's crazy how close both channels match!

Gonna give it a listen and then try your Dirac curve :)

View attachment 159789
Is this the best Front + Sub response you can get?

To align the subwoofers I recommend this video, it couldn't be easier.

Written with Google translate

Greetings

OP
xovaan

xovaan

Greetings
Yeah— that null is a bottomless pit :( I’m actually unironically considering putting my second subwoofer 70” off the ground to fix it since everything else sounds fantastic

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

Greetings

That video certainly made things look simple enough. Very nice... Though, I am curious about the time domain results and how his phase, step response and room wavelet graphs now show with all subs working in single union.

hemiutut

Yeah— that null is a bottomless pit :( I’m actually unironically considering putting my second subwoofer 70” off the ground to fix it since everything else sounds fantastic
Try another location of the subwoofers with a better response if possible.
With the REW simulator you can test without having to move the subwoofers.

hemiutut

That video certainly made things look simple enough. Very nice... Though, I am curious about the time domain results and how his phase, step response and room wavelet graphs now show with all subs working in single union.
I am not the person from the youtube video, I recommend that you ask him in the comments of the video.

Greetings

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I am not the person from the youtube video, I recommend that you ask him in the comments of the video.

Greetings

Thank you! I have not thought of that... My comment was not really addressed to you, but I guess it's more of a rhetorical question as I also see him not enabling the phase window in this exercise. Probably this was to make things "easy" to read and less confusing/daunting for the first-time viewer or user of the alignment tool.

I know that the room and placement of the sub(s) will cause all sorts of kinks in the phase response, so the the final result will always be very much room dependent anyway.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@xovaan

I've been experimenting with LR 48 db/oct (BW 36 dB/oct + LR 48 db/oct), you might wanna give it a try.

I noticed that i could localize the subwoofers with male voices (when the speakers are off) and I wasn't very happy about it. if you're happy with your current crossover ofcourse you don't need to do anything.

Last edited:
OP
xovaan

xovaan

@xovaan

I've been experimenting with LR 48 db/oct (BW 36 dB/oct + LR 48 db/oct), you might wanna give it a try.

I noticed that i could localize the subwoofers with male voices (when the speakers are off) and I wasn't very happy about it. if you're happy with your current crossover ofcourse you don't need to do anything.
Oops, just saw this-- apologies! I'll give it a try this weekend and will let you know how it goes :D

First I need to organize my cables, they're a horrible mess around the DA-9 and SHD and might be contributing to my speaker noise floor being audible when in proximity of the speakers :(

OP
xovaan

xovaan

@xovaan

Hey again! Long time no see :)

I'm looking to revisit this thread and project since I've updated the firmware on my Minidsp SHD and lost my presets-- I was wondering if there was a succinct way to get back up to speed? I tried to go back and look at our prior posts but a lot of it is greek to me again :( They've also changed their UI but everything seems to be the same? (hopefully)

- Do I keep the high pass, low pass, and peq settings for the digital crossover in the screenshots below?
- Do I input speaker latency in this window as well, or is Diract handling everything else?

1693171567811.png

1693172019388.png

1693171639491.png

1693171813192.png

biquad1,
b0=1.00190744005773,
b1=-1.99074267442228,
b2=0.988877873673046,
a1=1.99074267442228,
a2=-0.990785313730776

Top Bottom