• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker pair under $6k

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thinking things might have improved in the last 8 yrs and I could do better???

I have the revel c208. But I’m not a timbre matching die hard. Though I wasn’t aware of the potential XO issues you brought up. Good to know
Have you switched accounts? Are you @Dahlyn?

Anyway, the c208 is excellent too. All sorts of people will make all sorts of recommendations, but 2 good subs, M106x2 and a c208, plus surrounds, plus Audyssey XT32, is pretty hard to beat. Add another sub or two maybe.

OP
D

Dahlyn

The Revel F228Be is an excellent speaker and probably the best thing on the market if you can find it for that price. The used market has them for that price often.

Where are you located? I have a pair of F228Be's that I want to replace with Studio2's. They are fantastic speakers but I have an Ultima2 and want everything to match.
Pittbsurgh

OP
D

Dahlyn

Have you switched accounts? Are you @Dahlyn?

Anyway, the c208 is excellent too. All sorts of people will make all sorts of recommendations, but 2 good subs, M106x2 and a c208, plus surrounds, plus Audyssey XT32, is pretty hard to beat. Add another sub or two maybe.

I forgot my password and use about a dozen email accounts to try to atleast keep our tech overlords like Google/gmail from knowing me better than I know myself. So i just start a new account when I do. I must have been logged in still on my phone still when I replied.

Thanks....that is really reassuring

I think another sub or two can help the whole other issue of a square room... so that can be a plan

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Might want to consider Mesanovic CDM 65 for $5500, reviewed on EAC. Look very, very good. Powered monitor, btw. I'm sure you could always find another use for your amp,

Harris48

Yeah those do look super. I found powered speakers to be a pain with all those XLR and powers cable going everywhere though.

JohnnyNG

The Revel M106 are still really good speakers. Even if you spend the full $6000, don't expect a big difference in sound quality.
There's nothing wrong with your speakers, they're pretty much "end game" when used with subs crossed at 120Hz (the distortion below that rises a fair bit at 96dB/1m, but at 85dB an 80Hz crossover is fine too).

You guys know how to make us M106 owners feel good. :)

Top Bottom