• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Measurement Shipping Bounty

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I threw out this idea off-handedly in an earlier post of mine, I believe in the KH80 thread when it emerged that Klippel has an open day in March for measurements. But I really have some speakers I'm interested in seeing measurements of - interested enough that I'm willing to pay (within reason) for someone's shipping of any one (possibly more) of these speakers to Amir if they would trouble themselves with packing it and living without those speakers for a while.

My list:
  1. Technics SB-C700
  2. HEDD Type 07
  3. Adam T7V/T5V
  4. EMES Violett/Grey/Black Mkiv (German members might know of them - very small regional German brand making surprisingly well-priced actives with large moulded waveguides crossed appropriately low)
  5. Canton Vento standmounters (active or passive)
  6. Philhamonic Audio BMR
  7. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2(EX or not)
  8. Genelec 8030/40/50
  9. Any recent Salk speaker - also open to at least paying half for shipping larger models
  10. Any recent ATC/PMC standmount - also open to at least paying half for shipping larger models with the dome.
  11. Heissmann DXT-Mon/SEAS Idunn
  12. Any Gradient speaker

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I’ll throw this out there as well...

I plan to be up and running in the next couple months and am located in north Alabama. If there’s anyone within a reasonable distance to me the shipping costs may be lower and I’d be willing to test them. I don’t have the NFS but do plan to be able to provide enough measurements the “traditional” way to extract what we need to generate a CEA2034 type report. And then some (depending on how much testing the owner is willing to let me do).

Mawclaw

Forum Donor
Where in north Alabama? I am in Decatur often and could give you a KH310 and perhaps some ADS stuff.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Any recent Salk speaker - also open to at least paying half for shipping larger models
A Salk speaker is coming for review soon.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Adam T7V/T5V
The T5V was promised but I have not gotten confirmation. If it falls through, I am open to buying one with some persuasion. :)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Genelec 8260... But it would be a beast to ship. Are you looking to purchase whichever of these measures best?

That Technics SB C700 is the most interesting to me.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Genelec 8260... But it would be a beast to ship. Are you looking to purchase whichever of these measures best?

That Technics SB C700 is the most interesting to me.

I know you just got the 8260 fairly recently as well, after a long search (read your posts). I would feel terrible with troubling you to live without them so soon after getting them.

Yes, the Technics looks to measure really well - better than the LS50 passive in the crossover region but I would love to see spins. It just got discontinued (shame for a cool speaker like that to fizzle out mostly because of the crap What HiFi review). I would be very interested in getting them on closeout - probably the only speaker that could persuade me to stay with a passive setup. I'm more inclined toward an active right now - in the 2-way 7-inch size class, sub-£1200 per pair.

The 8040 looks like it hasn't been updated acoustically since 2004 since the 2004 graphs are still taken as current - a disappointment compared to the smaller speakers in the line, which seem to have received revisions acoustically and updated graphs to show it. It's a bit lumpy in the crossover region and shows it's age there - but the low-diffraction enclosure is definitely still the most sophisticated in the price range. Maybe it's deliberately held back because they now have the 8300 SAM series which all have exemplary measurements.

The Focal Shape 65 has high tweeter distortion with low max SPL because it's a really flimsy cheaped-out version of their inverted dome, but the midbass measures and sound distant, though I did hear quite a bit of hollowness that may be associated to a broad low-Q resonance in the midrange.

The HEDD Type 07 sounded really nice in the midbass, but a bit recessed in the upper midrange and low treble. Driver integration also sounded a bit suspect, tweeter dispersion restricted and the enclosure is nowhere as sophisticated as Genelec. The Type 05 measured with pretty bad off-axis elsewhere so I want to see how the Type 07 fares. I'm hoping it does well because my demo in a treated room yielded a toss-up between it and the 8040

I can't find the KS Digital C5-Reference for demo near me, and it has a +4dB bass peak deliberately designed so it stands out in demo. The manufacturers told me it can be EQ'd anyway, so no reason to make it flat. Shame because they pushed the SEAS coax to the limit from 250Hz up.

The LS50W has too many "lifestyle" features I won't use. I prefer to keep the source (including wireless receiver) outboard to the speakers and use XLR-in. KEF does the best coax drivers with excursion capability (Genelec's driver is great but needs a high-pass). But I hate the idea of having to stay with a passive setup for the KEFs I would be interested in, like the R3.

The LSR705 is way too small, there's the ugly port resonance I don't want to take any chances with, and pricing is not great. The 708 would be nice but way out of budget.

KH120 is too small.

Frankly, if the Type 07 does not measure well, I will probably go Genelec and EQ the very slightly rising response (which maybe what I heard) and the couple of resonances that still exist in the power response.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
The 8040 looks like it hasn't been updated acoustically since 2004 since the 2004 graphs are still taken as current - a disappointment compared to the smaller speakers in the line, which seem to have received revisions acoustically and updated graphs to show it. It's a bit lumpy in the crossover region and shows it's age there - but the low-diffraction enclosure is definitely still the most sophisticated in the price range. Maybe it's deliberately held back because they now have the 8300 SAM series which all have exemplary measurements.
I'm with you on that point. The 8340 should be quite good, though, and it has dip switches (unlike the 8330) that makes it usable without the GLM.
Too bad the 7050 didn't get their class D amps, on that same note.

But objectively, both the 8030 and 8040 need a subwoofer to be full-range, so why not take the updated, less expensive and more midrange sized 8030?

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm with you on that point. The 8340 should be quite good, though, and it has dip switches (unlike the 8330) that makes it usable without the GLM.
Too bad the 7050 didn't get their class D amps, on that same note.

But objectively, both the 8030 and 8040 need a subwoofer to be full-range, so why not take the updated, less expensive and more midrange sized 8030?

I don't have space for a subwoofer, and my SPL and bass requirements are satisfied by a standmount especially since I live in a high-rise apartment. I have found the 7-inch form factor perfectly adequate while accommodating the rarer tines I turn it up a little. The 5.5-inch form factor was always a little unsatisfactory. That said, the Type 07 seems to have a more beefy and modern midbass driver suited for standalone use. Just that diffraction control looks absolutely primitive vs the aluminium Genelecs.

8340 is out of budget and I would only be paying for the DSP crossover because I don't like having room correction be a walled garden ecosystem in principle, when power systems like Acourate or REW exist for any speaker.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I don't have space for a subwoofer, and my SPL and bass requirements are satisfied by a standmount especially since I live in a high-rise apartment. I have found the 7-inch form factor perfectly adequate while accommodating the rarer tines I turn it up a little. The 5.5-inch form factor was always a little unsatisfactory. That said, the Type 07 seems to have a more beefy and modern midbass driver suited for standalone use. Just that diffraction control looks absolutely primitive vs the aluminium Genelecs.
Even for the slim 7040? Well, in that case, the 8040 is indeed a bit better; Neumann's KH310 should also be considered.
Not interested in Hedd, personally since they don't give any measurements, and since I asked about them by mail 3 months ago and they answered that they'd get to it in the "next weeks". Still waiting for them. Add to that their Linearizer not running on UNIX and no thanks (they could give some brutefir filters).

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know you just got the 8260 fairly recently as well, after a long search (read your posts). I would feel terrible with troubling you to live without them so soon after getting them.

I can handle it... Had to give them up for a few days going to Vegas, Moab for another trip, and hopefully Colorado soon if the snow goes away.

On the Moab trip I was half convinced my Camry speakers sounded decent on the way back... Came inside and put on the last song I'd been listening to in the car and... Nope.

Goes to show how fickle our ears are. I wonder how often that happens with mediocre speakers... people get used to them for a few days, and turn off constantly swapping them back and forth, so they give them a positive review.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can handle it... Had to give them up for a few days going to Vegas, Moab for another trip, and hopefully Colorado soon if the snow goes away.

On the Moab trip I was half convinced my Camry speakers sounded decent on the way back... Came inside and put on the last song I'd been listening to in the car and... Nope.

Goes to show how fickle our ears are. I wonder how often that happens with mediocre speakers... people get used to them for a few days, and turn off constantly swapping them back and forth, so they give them a positive review.

Send me a shipping quote to Amir's and we can work something out by PM

Top Bottom