• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker limitations in design.

nikosidis

I had a lot of speakers. 2 way, 2,5 way, 3 way. Big, small etc.
For a long time I settled on standmount speakers. Typical 2 way configuration with tweeter and 6-7 inch woofer.
Recently I got a 3 way speaker again. tweeter, 4 inch midrange and 7 inch woofer.
I feel that this configuration is better than typical 2-way. More clear midrange, less distortion, more dynamic.
I can also play louder without compression. I have heard a big 2-way speaker like JBL, 12" and horn tweeter and that design do not seam to have much limitations.
I understand that this is not rocket science, but it is interesting the hear what people think about this subject for a normal room. Something like 15-25 square meters.

I know a lot use KEF LS50 and they say you can just add a Sub. but without a crossover you can quite easy distort the midrange playing loud.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
after 30 odd years and countless speakers I know I like a three way best, both my systems now use three-way speakers.

A two way with a good compression driver (a la JBL) is also acceptable to me.

Two way conventional cone/tweeter is just too compromised. Can sound good if well engineered but compared to a good three-way you can hear where it falls down.

Have had a few friends complain that their speakers do not 'disappear' like mine but when you explain why they won't have it, they think it's something to do with the cables or that I must have wonderful electricity supply. Can't see the woods for the trees.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience is that i prefer 2 way plus sub over 3 or more ways with active bass management (DSPing the heck out of it basically).

However, my experience with 3 way is limited to the Yamaha 1000M, Wharfedale Linton and Wharfedale Evo 4.2.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never got into the whole subwoofer plus active Xover thing, although it does make sense and it is finally starting to get some traction this side of the pond.

If I was starting again I'd just get some Neumann's or Genelecs plus the subs and call it a day, but I'm happy with what I have now.

OP
nikosidis

nikosidis

Dal1as

Even though I currently have Klipsch RF-83s which are 2 ways with compression drivers my next theater will have a 4 way system. 3 way speakers and 4 subs. Better dispersion in the mid range, better bass integration,... just fixes a lot of issues.

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A large 3 way is the best choice: it has lower distorsion and higher dynamic.
All depend if you have place for them in your room.
If not a good 2 way will do the job at near field.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
A large 3 way is the best choice: it has lower distorsion and higher dynamic.
All depend if you have place for them in your room.
If not a good 2 way will do the job at near field.
Neumann KH310 three way and a near field speaker.

Top Bottom