• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker isolation feet

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I have no idea what you're referencing with the picture. I'm sure it has a meaning.
As long as you keep yourself amused and understand there is no goat to get, you'll be fine.

All good oldhvymec.

A pear is a piece of fruit. Rather slippery in my experience and certainly never offering any friction. But you may know better.

Cheers. :)

Shaqy

I have 15 inch Tannoys originally thay were ment to be florstanders with non-spiked metal footings.
After a suggestion from a friend the guys at Myro HiFi furniture made them a small stand and spiked both stand and the speakers.

The result was huge, the bass was tighter and it opened up the mids and sound stage.
Small modification made a huge deal for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20220914_135646(1).jpg
    IMG_20220914_135646(1).jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 125

KxDx

Reactions: GM3

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm interested in the idea of springs for isolation, but not sure how to select the right ones. I think the rated weight and the frequency range in question matters, but unclear on how exactly.

Reactions: GM3

GM3

What about using some sort of foam? For instance, they sell those foam risers for monitors. Wouldn't that work equally well for monitors on stands?

What about also using something like gym or yoga mat underneath the speaker or speaker stand? Maybe even some sort of packing material... It's a bit weird that people seem to recommend just small 1 inch 'feet' rather than just sticking an entire sheet of isolation under the stand/speaker. Unless the floor is really atrociously crooked, the adjustments should be a bit moot, and would it not isolate better?

I would guess that it would make a significant difference in apartments/condos, for the people living a floor down. Guess you'd also want the same for a sub!

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about using some sort of foam? For instance, they sell those foam risers for monitors. Wouldn't that work equally well for monitors on stands?

What about also using something like gym or yoga mat underneath the speaker or speaker stand? It's a bit weird that people seem to recommend just small 1 inch 'feet' rather than just sticking an entire sheet of isolation under the stand/speaker. Unless the floor is really atrociously crooked, the adjustments should be a bit moot, and would it not isolate better?

I would guess that it would make a significant difference in apartments/condos, for the people living a floor down. Guess you'd also want the same for a sub!
It works, including computer mouse mats, camping sleeping mats (foamy type) etc. Some of them get permanently compressed over time though, that is why I use the Sonic Design feet which are durable over time.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I glue my speakers to floor with silicone, it makes parquet-silicone-cabinet constrained layer damping, pure audio science

jk

Ped

During the quiet holiday period I noticed the hum from the NAS drive which was promptly fixed with a cheap foam travel sleeve from a small tablet which I slid underneath.

GM3

Btw, I tried packing material under the speakers stands (50lbs large monitors + stands?), and after a couple of days it completely flattened the packing material and I'm pretty sure any audible difference it could have made lol So that might explain why it's not commonly used or recommended! Foam would likely be the same, maybe you could get away with it with smaller and lighter speakers, but anything semi heavy I think will just get compressed, and I'm guessing would become less effective. So something like denser foam; yoga mat might work though.

FWIW, I think that on my desk for studio monitors foam did make an audible difference, but for the larger monitors on stands with packing material, doubt I could tell the difference... It's likely minimal if any, and if you've not got room treatment for instance, pretty darn sure you couldn't hear the minute difference it could make. Making it sort of a last % tweak, very minor difference, when everything else is great.

Trell

Major Contributor
Btw, I tried packing material under the speakers stands (50lbs large monitors + stands?), and after a couple of days it completely flattened the packing material and I'm pretty sure any audible difference it could have made lol So that might explain why it's not commonly used or recommended! Foam would likely be the same, maybe you could get away with it with smaller and lighter speakers, but anything semi heavy I think will just get compressed, and I'm guessing would become less effective. So something like denser foam; yoga mat might work though.

FWIW, I think that on my desk for studio monitors foam did make an audible difference, but for the larger monitors on stands with packing material, doubt I could tell the difference... It's likely minimal if any, and if you've not got room treatment for instance, pretty darn sure you couldn't hear the minute difference it could make. Making it sort of a last % tweak, very minor difference, when everything else is great.

Packing material is designed and manufactured for protection during transport.

Top Bottom