• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

speaker in briefcase

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The 2,36" deep is because of the depth of the existing lid. With that style of case it's usually not hard to disassemble after drilling out some rivets, so you can make a deeper lid with the volume you need, rather than accept the volume of the existing lid as a limit.

OP
O

Orly67

Yes, it is possible. Your limit is the size of the lid and its depth, you must be able to close the briefcase, so
you have to tear off the existing sound system and the upholstery and measure.
Let me know when you know the cavity dimensions, preferably in milimeters, and i will try to give you some good advice. Also please write the model and name of the amp device that is there, so we can decide if it should stay or not. :) IS there perhaps also some battery with it? Let´s find out.
Thanks Adam the dimension are in cm 6 Deep x 25 cm H x 36 width. and i think to put a new amp. I would love a two Chanels( i don't know if are better twitter planar) maybe with bass reflex or sub passive for more bass. I don't know i am not a technician of sound just passioned of good sound. I drew a sketch of what I have in mind or something.

Attachments

• projet tattoo malette1.jpg
    projet tattoo malette1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 69
  • projet tattoo malette2.jpg
    projet tattoo malette2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
Good plan. Note that the left and right channel speakers as well as the subwoofer speaker must be in separate chambers.

OP
O

Orly67

Thanks Adam the dimension are in cm 6 Deep x 25 cm H x 36 width. and i think to put a new amp. I would love a two Chanels( i don't know if are better twitter planar) maybe with bass reflex or sub passive for more bass. I don't know i am not a technician of sound just passioned of good sound. I drew a sketch of what I have in mind or something.
everything is powered by electricity and for the amp inside i want to replace it

OP
O

Orly67

@Orly67 what's the parts budget?
i don't know bro but can propose me some budget?? It would also be great to be able to embed it and remove it as needed. What do you think?

Attachments

• malette tattoo prise externe.jpg
    malette tattoo prise externe.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20210201_135916.jpg
    IMG_20210201_135916.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 87

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Reminded me of the Cambridge Soundworks Mick Fleetwood Model Twelve. If it were still being made, it might work for you. The likelihood of finding one of them for sale on eBay or elsewhere is pretty good, but you'd probably have to keep a close watch for a time to find one in decent condition. Here's a site that will give you an idea of what it is. The satellites and the amplifier were stored in the small suitcase, and once they were removed from the suitcase, the suitcase itself was then the subwoofer. I never heard it and have no idea whether it sounded any good, but it likely sounded about as good as any similar setup would.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-cambridge-soundworks-model-12-pics-added.323357/

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
Hi,
first of all- the volume of the lid space is small, so if you don´t want to make the lower part of the briefcase smaller and make the speaker enclosure around 50-100 mm deeper, so it would be sticking out of the lid, i would really not recommend using of any subwoofer.
Considering the size of the possible enclosure ( i have calculated around 4.5 liter) use the existing volume of the lid, and close it with braced 10 mm mdf, in which i would suggest installing two shallow 6 inch midwoofers from Dayton, and combine them with suitable tweeter and amplifier installed in the lower part of the briefcase. Honestly the ribbon tweeters would be a bit of overkill in my book.
If you don´t make the box bigger in volume, you should better stick with sealed enclosure for now.
This is the shallow midwoofer:
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-LW150-4-6-Low-Profile-Woofer-4-Ohms-295-255
This could be suitable tweeter, the desired crossover point would be around 1500 Hz
https://www.parts-express.com/Peerless-BC25SC06-04-1-Textile-Dome-Tweeter-264-1028

Cheers

Ondrej

Last edited:
OP
O

Orly67

Hi,
first of all- the volume of the lid space is small, so if you don´t want to make the lower part of the briefcase smaller and make the speaker enclosure around 50-100 mm deeper, so it would be sticking out of the lid, i would not consider usage of any subwoofer.
Considering the size of the possible enclosure ( i have calculated around 4.5 liter) use the existing volume of the lid, and close it with braced 10 mm mdf, in which i would suggest installing two shallow 6 inch midwoofers from Dayton, and combine them with suitable tweeter and amplifier installed in the lower part of the briefcase. Honestly the ribbon tweeters would be a bit of overkill in my book.
If you don´t make the box bigger in volume, you should sick with sealed enclosure for now.
This is the shallow midwoofer:
https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-LW150-4-6-Low-Profile-Woofer-4-Ohms-295-255
This could be suitable tweeter, the desired crossover point would be around 1500 Hz
https://www.parts-express.com/Peerless-BC25SC06-04-1-Textile-Dome-Tweeter-264-1028

Cheers

Ondrej
thank you so much I thought everyone had forgotten me. Thank you so much Ondrej

Top Bottom