• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker designs using Purifi drivers

RolandRa

That is not an unfair conclusion. This is just a first generation driver and some of the more established competitors have refined their offerings over many years. Also more volume would (hopefully) help make them a better value too...

If you have a tweeter preference or insist on a passive speaker, it may or may not be a good choice. Along with the commercial speakers discussed thus far, there are some interesting DIY ones too. Heissmann, Troels, and hificompass have all used the Purifi woofer. Without being too immodest, the Directiva r1 is pretty good too! :cool:
Rick, where did you find Heissmann's implementation?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
That is not an unfair conclusion. This is just a first generation driver and some of the more established competitors have refined their offerings over many years. Also more volume would (hopefully) help make them a better value too...

If you have a tweeter preference or insist on a passive speaker, it may or may not be a good choice. Along with the commercial speakers discussed thus far, there are some interesting DIY ones too. Heissmann, Troels, and hificompass have all used the Purifi woofer. Without being too immodest, the Directiva r1 is pretty good too! :cool:
Right. Drivers that strive for league-leading performance in one attribute generally face some trade-offs. The 6.5" does a lot better in this regard than the smaller midrange, which can only manage 84.5 dB sensitivity at 4 Ohms. Another example is the Airblade 180 Degree AMT tweeter that Jim Salk was hoping to use with the Purifi. It took so much sound treatment to tame the internal standing waves from all those separate AMT elements that the response rolled off major time below 2 kHz, ruling out a passive design that crossed it where it was designed to be crossed--around 1 kHz.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah. In retrospect, I should have just posted pictures of the speakers instead of just the web page.

Rose_03-10-2020_0025-scaled.jpg

joachim_gerhard_collection_surveyor_master_speakers_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2021_2022_2023_-1.jpg

Cool, that tower might take the Salk out of contention.

It has some major audiophile appeal in that seems rather elusive and cannot tell how much it costs! ;)

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Rick Sykora I'm considering the PTT6.5W08 for just midrange duty in my active XO 3-ways. Thoughts about using these sealed LR24 350Hz-2000kHz LR48 for the ultimate midrange purity at the driver end of things? As a bonus it is a direct replacement for the current driver on my baffle.

Last edited:
OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Rick Sykora I'm considering the PTT6.5W08 for just midrange duty in my active XO 3-ways. Thoughts about using these sealed LR24 350Hz-2000kHz LR48 for the ultimate midrange purity at the driver end of things? As a bonus it is a direct replacement for the current driver on my baffle.

It seems a pricey driver for a midrange, but should be fine with the frequency range you have specified. Have not tried them sealed TBH, How much volume do you have currently?

PM me if you want to discuss further.

Savi

If you really want a Purifi driver, given the frequency range, you might consider PTT6.5M dedicated midrange. Given the xmax, it should play 350Hz without limitation.

DWPress

Forum Donor
It seems a pricey driver for a midrange, but should be fine with the frequency range you have specified. Have not tried them sealed TBH, How much volume do you have currently?
Current drivers sealed space in the enclosure is about 7.8 liters or .278 cubic feet. The edge of the Purify driver would slightly overlap the tweeter on the baffle. Sensitivity is down a few dB from what I currently use but otherwise specs are good. Woofer is pretty linear through 1kHz and tweeter can pass as low as 1500Hz with a steep filter. I'm currently using an Eminence Alpha 6A.

I got the idea looking at Erin's Spin data and review. There's nothing really I can do to improve my system beyond the room and optimizing the drivers I use in my DIY speakers which I'm pretty committed to at this point so yes, pricey for a midrange but where is the point of diminishing returns?

I'll send a PM later with more driver details but thought I'd offer this info here in case anyone has an idea for a mid driver in the 6.5-7" size range that will work this flat out of the box in the range I need. Active XO so lots of flexibility.

DWPress

Forum Donor
you might consider PTT6.5M dedicated midrange.
Thanks @Savi, it was late and I hadn't looked at the other Purify offerings, that driver does seem a better fit.

Holmz

Major Contributor

It seems like the Purifi has a wider bandwidth than other drivers, so it may be better used in a system where the slopes are shallower, or where there are less drivers?

Usually speaker designed with more drivers, and using steeper slopes, allows for cheaper drivers to be used in the range where they operate best… and avoiding the frequencies where the break up/down etc.

DWPress

Forum Donor
Usually speaker designed with more drivers, and using steeper slopes, allows for cheaper drivers to be used in the range where they operate best…
Yup, plenty of bandwidth several octaves above and below my current XO settings which is a good thing potentially allowing shallower slopes. My main interest in these Purify drivers is the exceptional distortion figures*. Like I asked before - point of diminishing returns?

* edit: and off axis measurements

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
Yup, plenty of bandwidth several octaves above and below my current XO settings which is a good thing potentially allowing shallower slopes. My main interest in these Purify drivers is the exceptional distortion figures*. Like I asked before - point of diminishing returns?

* edit: and off axis measurements

I dunno… I heard a set of speakers with them in, and it was pretty good.

ChrisB1224

I also have my own Purifi Tower for $4,500/pair--Mundorf AMT, New 8-Ohm Purifi BMR midrange drivers, dual Purifi 6.5" woofers.
HT-1.png
You won't likely find a finish like that on any pair under 15k. Wow. Did you build these? I love the MTM. You could design a hell of a center channel with that array. Imagine cutting off the box just below the lowest mid, adding the bass drivers to the sides in a slightly smaller, horizontal cabinet.

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
You won't likely find a finish like that on any pair under 15k. Wow. Did you build these? I love the MTM. You could design a hell of a center channel with that array. Imagine cutting off the box just below the lowest mid, adding the bass drivers to the sides in a slightly smaller, horizontal cabinet.
Thanks--but I only screwed in the drivers and tested them out. These are a commercial design in my Philharmonic Audio line. philharmonicaudio.com The finish is mirror ebony, which is in fact also available in a certain $20,000 tower. I have a center channel under development that uses the same MTM configuration for the mid and tweeter, but uses the venerable ScanSpeak 5.5" Revelators as the woofers.

ChrisB1224

Thanks--but I only screwed in the drivers and tested them out. These are a commercial design in my Philharmonic Audio line. philharmonicaudio.com The finish is mirror ebony, which is in fact also available in a certain $20,000 tower. I have a center channel under development that uses the same MTM configuration for the mid and tweeter, but uses the venerable ScanSpeak 5.5" Revelators as the woofers.
I really wish I talked to you 2 months ago. Incredible value. I do like the speakers that I ended up with, but 4500 per pair looks like the steal of the century. Same with the other 2 products on the page.
How is directivity, without any sort of wave guide?

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I really wish I talked to you 2 months ago. Incredible value. I do like the speakers that I ended up with, but 4500 per pair looks like the steal of the century. Same with the other 2 products on the page.
How is directivity, without any sort of wave guide?
The extremely wide dispersion of the midrange units allows very even and broad off-axis response without a wave guide. There should be complete spin plots available in a forthcoming review, although that probably won't be published for a couple of months.

Top Bottom