• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker designer Danny Richie (GR-Research) directly attacks ASR

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Danny says "the last thing you want in the signal path is a large metal bolt for the signal to have to pass through"

BUT Danny forgot that due to skin effect the current will NOT pass thru that big, bad ol' bolt!!

egellings

Major Contributor
The whole audio accessory area seems to have taken off. Besides the cables, look at the magic stones, footers, cable lifts, cones and others. It's crazy.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The whole audio accessory area seems to have taken off. Besides the cables, look at the magic stones, footers, cable lifts, cones and others. It's crazy.

those have been around for *decades*

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can I ask you something...is buying an APx555, a Klippel NFS and a GRAS45 a good way to make money?
Not that I can tell. In all the years I have had the AP and Klippel, only twice companies have reached out to me to measure their gear. And then, I probably made 10% of the money/hour that I made working at a day job. :)

As a tool for something else, then yes, they can pay for themselves and then some. Imagine designing a much better speaker because you own Klippel than without.

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A classic though "somewhat meh" 80's teen flick by the great John Hughes. Prolific creator of 80's wonderful classics like:

1984 Mr. Mom (TV Movie) (characters)...

(written by)

For the sake of accuracy, Mr. Mom came out in 1983, not 1984, and it was a theatrical release, not a TV movie. And it was a huge hit. Hughes wrote the screenplay.

jsrtheta

Ah, there is that word - profit - a negative label attached as a moral judgement. Every audio manufacturer profits from their product. Does each and every audio product live up to marketing language, published specs. (sometimes fudged), or praises from a "reviewer"? Does more cost always guarantee a better audio product of any flavor? Of course not. Absolutely, hearing differences, musical taste, and other factors influence purchasing decisions. There is not a single true path to audio nirvana.

For me, any claims made by Danny, Amir, Erin, Guttenberg, Atkinson, et. al. have to be verified by myself. Been there, done that dozens of times in search of what works for me. Others can do as they wish. Derogatory terms like snake oil, cult, charlatan, audiophool, idiot, etc. are inflammatory bludgeons instead of adult conversation. Flat-earther is not helpful either.

Amir says a $200 DAC measures identical to a $2000 DAC. Interesting information, but I will make the final decision what is right for me. Danny says a capacitor will improve tweeter response. Interesting information, but I will make the final decision what is right for me.

Life is too short for me to reinvent the wheel over and over again. Measurements tell us most of what we need to know, and I have no desire to waste my time on earth duplicating well-done tests.

That is the point of learning who you can trust in the field, and then consulting their work in order to make good decisions.

OP
B

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Life is too short for me to reinvent the wheel over and over again.

Amen to that. The less time spent on the trial & error / purchase & return process and/or technical tinkering with gear, the more time I have to actually enjoy listening to the music I love. Amir and Erin in particular have never steered me wrong -- the others, not so much...

egellings

Major Contributor
I worked in electrical test engineering, and we often just rented expensive seldom-used test equipment when it was needed. I do not know if Klippel equipment can be rented, but if it is, then rental would be the way to go unless the equipment is used very often and it makes more sense to purchase it.

Stu Pidasso

Forum Donor
I worked in electrical test engineering, and we often just rented expensive seldom-used test equipment when it was needed. I do not know if Klippel equipment can be rented, but if it is, then rental would be the way to go unless the equipment is used very often and it makes more sense to purchase it.

I wonder how steep the learning curve is with the Klippel. Maybe @amirm or @hardisj could comment on the initial challenges when first firing up their own Klippel equipment.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Unfortunately klippel system is not made to be moved once assembled. It is large and very fragile. It is shipped unassembled in nearly 509 pieces. It took 3 days to put together and then days to set up and tune. So much easier to send the speaker to someone who has it to test.

Top Bottom