• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker designer Danny Richie (GR-Research) directly attacks ASR

GeorgeBynum

Tube connectors.
like these?
1625778934150.png

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Can I ask you something...is buying an APx555, a Klippel NFS and a GRAS45 a good way to make money?

Certainly could be, if you then use those devices to design and create/build hifi gear that measures impeccably and sounds superb at a reasonable consumer level of cost.

Otherwise no, at a guess I’d say that’s £140k of equipment, and as far as I can make out amir is not monetising this website nor his YouTube videos so I guess he’s in it for the shits n’ giggles (and to inform/call out the utterly shoddy design & workmanship being sold today)

OP
B

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A lot of us like Danny. I bought the Rythmik, the F12G (for GR), that has his driver in it. It's a great sub. Danny knows his stuff, which makes his occasional phoolery irritating.

I wish it was just "occasional" -- but it's pretty much constant, e.g. he always mentions "tube connectors" when offering one of his (AFAICT well designed) mod kits.

OP
B

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
In Danny's defense, banana connectors do mostly suck. However, something like SpeakOn is the solution.

Danny is OK with Speakons for his subwoofers, but insists that his tube connectors sound better for full-range speaker systems. I kid you not....

Stu Pidasso

Forum Donor
I used to worry about his stuff. TBH now I listen to the music more than I worry about it. If it doesn't work and there's no sound, well then I will take a look at the connections and the bananas or speakons or screw terminals but only then.

Before seeing the light on the road to Damascus, I liked copper buss bar or grounding braid for my conductors of my speaker wire. The heaviness of my wallet is so much more thrilling than the other more expensive cables. As for binding posts, a set of screw terminals seems to work fine or speakons in a pinch as long as you regularly connect and disconnect the Speakon so the wiping feature does it's job. If you're super worried about it, just solder your cables directly to the output pads on the circuit board of the amplifier and directly to the crossover (if you use a passive one) on your loud speaker.

escksu

In Danny's defense, banana connectors do mostly suck. However, something like SpeakOn is the solution.

Yes, many speaker connectors do SUCK big time. Speaker terminals too. No doubt the gold plating looks pretty and expensive. However, its only skin deep. Beneath that gold plating is actually crappy aluminum/steel alloy. Some are copper plated (I thought they are real copper, lol).

escksu

In a comment below this U-Toob video, he said this about ASR:

"They do no real science over there. They are just a propaganda machine for their belief system. They never answer the question do cables make an audible difference as they never listen to anything."

Audiophile Cable TRUTHS: About THAT VIDEO!

There is definitely some science in ASR. But its not absolute science, I would say is part science, part belief. Pretty much in line with enthusiats/hobbyists.

Top Bottom