• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Decoupling with Small Rubber Pad?

hutt132

I currently have my Sierra 2-EX speakers on 4 small rubber pads, sitting on some Monoprice stands filled with gravel.
Would the small rubber pads be adequate enough for decoupling purposes, or should I try out something thicker or use foam?

1.jpg

2.jpg

Jbrunwa

Your speakers look good on those stands! I have a pair of Revel M106 speakers on the same stands using the rubber pads supplied with the stand, stands filled with non clumping kitty litter and a handful of blue-tak beads holding the speakers firmly to the stands in addition to the rubber pads. I didn’t see any anomalies in the response with either Dirac or REW. I previously tried sorbothane sheet and didn’t hear or measure any difference.

Attachments

• 4BEF143E-0FAA-450F-8EAE-9B1B14D44084.jpeg
    4BEF143E-0FAA-450F-8EAE-9B1B14D44084.jpeg
    824.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have tried speakers on stands, sitting on subwoofers, rubber sheets, foam wedges, and various combinations.

They all sounded the same, and measured within margin of error. Well built speaker cabinets aren't transmitting enough energy to need decoupling, and the same goes for subwoofers.

By far the most important thing is your speakers sit at ear level. Most bookshelf speakers have only 10-15 degrees of vertical listening window.

Loathecliff

In my experience having an inert floor matters far more.

Top Bottom